Google Movies blocked for Rooted Devices

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Finally, something the non-rooted community can hold over its super-user counterpart. Google has decided to block users, with rooted devices, from accessing the Google Movies service. Users with rooted devices are greeted with a rage-inducing “Failed to fetch license…” error whenever they try to load a movie for viewing. Google has come out and flatly said that rooted users will be denied due to “requirements related to copyright protection”.

google_movies_inline.jpg

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
named super user for a reason..in time

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
BTW I don't think it was Google's decision. Probably the studios & MPAA.

iPhoneBlowz

Reaction score
All I have to say is who cares. I wouldn't watch a whole movie on a screen any smaller than my laptop. Between Netflix & HBO GO who needs em?

I would never unroot my phone and give up all the added benefits just to rent movies.

liferefugee

Reaction score
I can understand it. They have to put the movie files somewhere since 3g streaming would probably upset the carriers. Root users could get those files upsetting the movie industry.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

JayR_

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Lame.....

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

the86d

Reaction score
I guess this is a fee they will never receive from me...

Ned

Reaction score
I am very curious to see how this check is implemented. With the exception of the HTC Thunderbolt, rooting is fairly strait forward. You have a modified SU binary and a Superuser.apk file on your phone (I know, not that easy, but at the end of the day all you need are those two files on your phone to have root). Is google just checking for the presence of those two items? If so, theoretically one could be rooted, go back to “non-root”, watch a flick, then re-root when they are done. If google starts looking for MD5SUM on the kernel that’s another story.

Personally, I don’t ever see my self watching a full length movie on my phone so it really does not impact me. Root access lets me have a new phone every couple of months. Either by changing the color of my notification window or flashing a new Kernel to shake things up a little. I would take root over streaming google movies in a heartbeat.

The other question is what else are they going to block rooted users from?

JayR_

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Rooted users will eventually be labeled "cellular network terrorists"
We shall then rise up and strap exploding phones to our bodies and walk into their stores!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Natey2

Reaction score
The other question is what else are they going to block rooted users from?

The highly-rated Blockbuster app and other bloatware? :^)

But seriously, I think they will try and block tethering and possibly the Market, to coerce people back into unrooting.

And rooters will come up with a desktop on/off widget to turn root on or off, like we do for the GPS now.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
And rooters will come up with a desktop on/off widget to turn root on or off, like we do for the GPS now.

Why would you turn gps off? It uses no power unless you start an app that needs it.

Natey2

Reaction score

Why would you turn gps off? It uses no power unless you start an app that needs it.

I'll try leaving it on and and see the effect on my battery...

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
All I have to say is who cares. I wouldn't watch a whole movie on a screen any smaller than my laptop. Between Netflix & HBO GO who needs em?

I would never unroot my phone and give up all the added benefits just to rent movies.

While I agree about watching full movies on a 4.3" or smaller screen, most new phones have HDMI out. Which means you could use your phone to stream to a full sized television. Rooting it will keep you from doing that as well. :angry: