Google & Microsoft Make Nice: Agree to Stop Complaining to Regulators

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
google-microsoft-make-nice.png

Over the years, Google and Microsoft's relationship has varied from strained to "at each other's throats." It appears that is changing, and their relationship is moving toward more cooperation and less fighting. Just last year in October, both companies agreed to stop fighting in court over patent issues.

Now it seems they are taking things to the next level, as both companies have promised to stop complaining to regulators about each other. Here's Microsoft's statement on the matter,

"Microsoft has agreed to withdraw its regulatory complaints against Google, reflecting our changing legal priorities. We will continue to focus on competing vigorously for business and for customers."

And, here's Google's follow-up,

"Our companies compete vigorously, but we want to do so on the merits of our products, not in legal proceedings."

Most of the industry insiders believe that the biggest reason for this new atmosphere of friendship is because Google CEO Sundar Pichai and Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella get along much better than (the former CEOs) Steve Ballmer and Eric Schmidt ever did.

What do you folks think? Can these two tech titans compete with each other effectively and still maintain a cordial relationship?

Source: Re/Code

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
So does that mean we can being back the dual boots that were canned because of this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I sure hope they can stick to this. I've been sick of the patent-trolling wars among tech companies pretty much since they started. This, the Apple V. Samsung stuff, and everything else like them.

Stop whining like a baby about what the other guy is doing and focus your energy and resources on coming up with something better. Then, no one will care about that thing that you got upset about in the first place because it's similar to the vague patent you just happen to have.

Swipe to unlock should NEVER have been granted a patent, if you ask me. That whole area of innovation is a cluster.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah. I have high hopes, but little faith that this "detente" will last. Cross your fingers that optimism wins out over pessimism. :)

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
But C'mon! Apple did have the genius idea of a recangular shape, with rounded corners, right?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

chevycam94

SteelDroid ROM / Cortex ROM Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
steelroms.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P, VZW Note Edge, D1
Now THATS how competitive business SHOULD be. When will Apple get the idea.......ughhhh, never.