Google may not share its Honeycomb...

Skull One

Reaction score
Has the success of the independent ROM devs finally got Googles undivided attention?

"Google says it will delay the distribution of its newest Android source code, dubbed Honeycomb, at least for the foreseeable future."

This might be the look on a lot of faces after reading the following article by Business Week.

attachment.php

Google Holds Honeycomb Tight - BusinessWeek

The Android OS saga might have just got interesting.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Wasn't it "not ready for independant devs" or something like that? Saw a tweet about it and that's it so far.

Sent from my Liberated D2G

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
As much as we all want to complain about Google "holding back on us", this very well could be that the AOSP code has a bunch of work-arounds in it that they don't want to release until they resolve. I can definitely appreciate that, as a developer.

It could be politically/competitively motivated, as well, though.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
"Rubin says that if Google were to open-source the Honeycomb code now, as it has with other versions of Android at similar periods in their development, it couldn't prevent developers from putting the software on phones "and creating a really bad user experience. We have no idea if it will even work on phones."

As though the devs don't test software? I find this very odd.

OP
Skull One

Skull One

Reaction score
I think Google might be concerned with a non-phone maker dev team doing what some phone makers say they won't or can't do.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Actually I think they're afraid they might get shown up themselves, not phone makers. More than likely HC for phones will be built off of source from the current version. If our devs make a decent product before Google can even get theirs out, could make them look pretty bad. Could be other motives too but it might be on their minds. :)

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
doesnt sound very open source to me...

No, but unfortunately, that seems to be the trend in the cell phone industry. Look at HTC adding locked bootloaders to the Thunderbolt and Inspire. I'm not sure what their motivation is, but they're joining Motorola in their efforts to make it more difficult to root your android cell phone.

-Mike

OP
Skull One

Skull One

Reaction score
How about all the phones that were rooted without the users permission or knowledge from apps that were legally placed on the market?

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
How about all the phones that were rooted without the users permission or knowledge from apps that were legally placed on the market?

Skull, I'm not following you at all on this one. Are you saying there are apps out there, available on the Market, that will surreptitiously root a person's phone - FULL ROOT? I've never *heard* of such a thing! Can you list a couple of examples?

-Mike

Jordan8

Reaction score
I think they just rushed the code, to get it out & onto a tablet asap. Now they want to pretty it up before they release it.

OP
Skull One

Skull One

Reaction score
Skull, I'm not following you at all on this one. Are you saying there are apps out there, available on the Market, that will surreptitiously root a person's phone - FULL ROOT? I've never *heard* of such a thing! Can you list a couple of examples?

-Mike

Currently not near a PC to get a proper link for you but Google had to pull 21 apps from the market because of that very issue.

A quick search on the subject should yield plenty of info.

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock

-Mike

Currently not near a PC to get a proper link for you but Google had to pull 21 apps from the market because of that very issue.

A quick search on the subject should yield plenty of info.

WOW! A Google search turned up this - Android Malware Scare Causes Google to Pull 21 Apps - and you weren't kidding about the rooting part. That's what I find so incredible, rooting the newer phones is no piece of cake - I spent an hour this morning, rooting my HTC Inspire - but these goofy programs manage to root phones behind their owners backs! There is some kind of fundamental injustice there. :):)

-Mike