Google May Increase Prices and Processor Performance of Chromebooks

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-chromebook.jpg

So far, the Chromebook hasn't been extremely successful for Google. Even in Asia, the netbooks/notebooks aren't selling well. Marketing teams at Google have identified the problem as a price & performance issue, and that they are simply trying to compete in the wrong market segment. Since their release, the Chromebook has been pegged as an entry-level competitor to netbooks and Apple's iPad. Unfortunately, this leaves the $500 dollar pricing of the Chromebook at the very upper end of the pricing spectrum in that tier of product. Google's solution is to upgrade the processor from the Intel Atom that currently runs it, to the Intel Core i3 CPU, and then raise the price above the $500 dollar barrier to the mid-level product segment. Google is currently planning to make this upgrade and move the product into that consumer tier as early as the fourth quarter of this year.

Ultimately, the real problem for the device is not reality, but perception. Consumers perceive the product as a lower-end and slower device due to the Intel Atom chip that is typically in $300 dollar and less netbooks. Thus, its pricing at $500 dollars seems like too hard of a pill to swallow for consumers that don't realize it can do much more than your typical netbook. From the other side, typical notebook consumers have a perception that the device can't perform many of the same functions as their Windows based notebooks, leaving the Chromebook in a "no-win scenario". Google hopes that by increasing the processor speed and upping the price, they can convince the mid-range consumer that the Chromebook is a less-expensive alternative to a typical notebook computer. Apparently, confidence in Google's ability to make this transition isn't dampened within their OEMs, because Samsung, Acer and Asus, have all agreed to join in with the new upgrades. Now, they just need to translate that confidence to consumers, and perhaps they can make a dramatic turnaround for the fledgling product.

For more info on Chromebooks, and the Chrome OS, check out our sister-site @ ChromeOSForums.net.

Source: ChromeOSForums.net via ConceivablyTech.com

BlacknTan

Reaction score
samsung-chromebook.jpg

From the other side, typical notebook consumers have a perception that the device can't perform many of the same functions as their Windows based notebooks,

That's not just the perception, it's the reality. Have you ever tried to convert a complicated word document into google docs? Fail.

If you do a little bargain hunting, you can get a really nice basic laptop for $500. I bought my Core I3 lenovo notebook for that. Why in the world would I pay the same amount of money for a device with an OS that has limited functionality? There's nothing that Chrome OS can do that a Windows (or linux) -based laptop can't, and plenty that my notebook can do that chromebook can't.

If I want an electronic device that boots up instantly, and that I can use for basic web-surfing and email, I would much rather shell out $500 for an android tablet with better specs than the chromebook.

If anything, google should be dropping the price and upping the specs. This thing is destined to fail. You can't expect people to pay more for less.

Google completely missed the boat on this.

anuraj1

Reaction score
I was really surprised at the price of the Chromebooks when they were released. Like the previous poster said, Laptops are nearly the same price now.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
The ChromeBook interests me a ton. But the problem is the price. Its $500 for a laptop that runs a browser. Just a few days ago, Slickdeals.net had this on sale for $449

Intel Core i5 2410M 2.30GHz CPU
4GB DDR3
500GB HDD
14.0" 1366x768 Display w/ Webcam
Intel HD Graphics 3000
HDMI
DVDRW
WiFi N
6-cell Li-Ion Battery
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Sorry, but why spend $500 on a browser when I can get a corei5 laptop with Win7 on it for less.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
The ChromeBook interests me a ton. But the problem is the price. Its $500 for a laptop that runs a browser. Just a few days ago, Slickdeals.net had this on sale for $449

Intel Core i5 2410M 2.30GHz CPU
4GB DDR3
500GB HDD
14.0" 1366x768 Display w/ Webcam
Intel HD Graphics 3000
HDMI
DVDRW
WiFi N
6-cell Li-Ion Battery
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Sorry, but why spend $500 on a browser when I can get a corei5 laptop with Win7 on it for less.

Oh, it was a Lenovo E420.

Zecpull

Reaction score
Google Shot themselves in the Foot so bad Marketing this Toad.. They first as all Geeks to apply to get an Early release.. .Then when they make good on the Early release, They market it to the preview Team at Full Retail,and also Spam them. .. What a hack job. Then they try to Sell an Atom.. for the whole Bomb.. You could buy a Netbook with an Atom at Christmas for $179.. How can they try this. there is no proven software for it. I hate to Say it but an ipad 1 would be faster.

BCrawford

Reaction score
Thus, its pricing at $500 dollars seems like too hard of a pill to swallow for consumers that don't realize it can do much more than your typical netbook.

:confused:

Seriously? What can this thing do that any netbook can't??? I'm pretty sure ANY netbook can do more than this glorified browser. Chromebooks are going to fail fast if they don't significantly drop the price, but no they're gonna put a faster processor in it and charge more!?

ntrddragn

Reaction score
ok..that makes more sense now. no one is buying at 500 so lets change the cpu and sell it at 600 or higher. NOT. I wanted one when it was free but buy it. like others had stated might as well buy another laptop with better spec or a tablet for that price.