Google May Develop Their Own 'Nexus' Android Wear Smartwatches

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
google-smartwatch-concept-2.jpg

According to the latest rumint, we may actually see a Nexus branded Android Wear smartwatch from Google. The report indicates that Google plans to integrate Google Now voice AI functionality into their Nexus smartwatch, and there will be two different sized versions.

Here's a quote with more of the details,

"The two devices will be different in size, with the bigger model sporting extra features, including LTE connectivity and GPTS support. The smaller would lack cellular and GPS connectivity, but both devices would feature heart rate sensors and circular “flat tires” designs.

Codenamed Angelfish, the bigger model is similar to the Moto 360 and LG’s Urbane 2nd Edition LTE, but it will have its own personality. Angelfish has three buttons, including a large circular crown centered along the right side of the body, and two smaller circular buttons on either side of it. The watch is rather thick, measuring 14m, and has a diameter of 43.5mm. The device will be quite large, but that’s because it has to feature a battery decent enough to power that LTE connection.

Swordfish is the smaller model, which is reminiscent of the Pebble Time Round. The watch has a single button centered on the right side of the body, “with a more delicate and Apple Watch-like design.” The smartwatch has a thickness of 10.6mm and a diameter of 42mm." ~ BGR

What do you folks think? A bad idea, or an idea so good that it should have occurred already?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I would definitely be interested in this, especially if GPS is improved and with more storage. Bigger screen would be nice....I mainly care about fitness, and it's sad that the various running/fitness wearables out there (aside from Android, IOS and Tizen) don't have weightlifting apps.

Would also be nice with the bigger battery if you're not using LTE you get a nice few days+ (the Gear S2, for example, VZW would not sell without a data plan!)

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I'd love a watch that can actually workout with me. If it has a Gps and running app, I can ditch my phone.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'd love a watch that can actually workout with me. If it has a Gps and running app, I can ditch my phone.

You already have several options. But if you're a semi-serious runner, no watch with an optical heart rate sensor (pretty much all the high-end fitness ones) is worth a damn. GPS varies - seems I got a Moto 360 Sport that has trouble with locking GPS, though it's supposed to be very good. There's even a few watches out there with data/calling support.

I feel like the OEM's are following their typical pattern of very marginal upgrades. Good thing for Google to jump in a make a watch what it's capable of being.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
You already have several options. But if you're a semi-serious runner, no watch with an optical heart rate sensor (pretty much all the high-end fitness ones) is worth a damn. GPS varies - seems I got a Moto 360 Sport that has trouble with locking GPS, though it's supposed to be very good. There's even a few watches out there with data/calling support.

I feel like the OEM's are following their typical pattern of very marginal upgrades. Good thing for Google to jump in a make a watch what it's capable of being.
I run 25 to 30 miles a week. Not really a serious runner yet. All reviews are about what you mentioned. Bad GPS, horrible heart rate monitor, etc. I can get a chest band but that's another device to carry.