Google Maps

rjsurfer

Reaction score
My GPS started working again all of sudden in the evening..I am sure there must be some outage during that time..

Thanks
Shiva

Maybe, just maybe (need a fingers_crossed smiley) Google got off their *$$ and got some decent maps to replace what they lost when they lost TeleAtlas and they were 'updating' the servers today... yeah right, but it doesn't hurt to hope....

Could you explain about their loss of TeleAtlas? Is that why their maps are so old or screwed up compared to my Garmin maps?

Ron W.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
My GPS started working again all of sudden in the evening..I am sure there must be some outage during that time..

Thanks
Shiva

Maybe, just maybe (need a fingers_crossed smiley) Google got off their *$$ and got some decent maps to replace what they lost when they lost TeleAtlas and they were 'updating' the servers today... yeah right, but it doesn't hurt to hope....

Could you explain about their loss of TeleAtlas? Is that why their maps are so old or screwed up compared to my Garmin maps?

Ron W.

Yes. They used to have a contract with TeleAtlas (and someone else) that provided them with highly detailed maps for most of the country. In October, however they ended that partnership (and another) and are now forced to use their own maps (which are decent in major/metro areas) and the official Census Bureau public maps (which SUCK).

The detail, and therefore functionality will vary greatly depending on your area. Personally here in the outer Nashville areas the maps have regressed about 2 years ago and are virtually useless. In downtown Nashville they are decent but still not up to par with ANY decent Nav system or even other popular/free online maps.

Google is WELL aware of this and apparently couldn't care less. There have been a ridiculous amount of posts regarding the topic on their (GoogleMaps) help forum and they have never bothered to respond to any or make any sort of official announcement concerning their plans. Very disappointing... What good is developing a Navigation system/program if it does not have useful/reliable maps...

darreno1

Reaction score
Down in here S.Florida, their maps are spot on. No complaints there.

darreno1

Reaction score
Well my GPS is back to the intermittent on/off again. I tried all the usual stuff (rebooting/ battery pulls etc). It seems to be a network issue. This morning it worked fine now it's not working again. I'm in the Miami area, has anybody else had luck today?

Update: It's working fine again.