Google Maps update to 6.14.2 causes high batt drain if Location Reporting is enabled

TWC42

Reaction score
Today I got an OTA update to Google Maps and noticed that my battery was dying quickly. Checked the Google Play Store and looked at the newest reviews for Google Maps from folks with an HTC phone. Many were screaming that their battery was dying quickly. (Others complained that the app crashed). Found on my Rezound that somehow the Location Reporting option was enabled. Looked at my battery under Settings and it showed that Maps had used more of the battery than the screen. Unchecked the Location Reporting option, recharged the battery to 100% so that I'd get a new set of results of what was using the battery. Things are back to normal and the Maps app isn't even on the battery usage report.
The wife's HTS Incredible 4G got the Maps update, but her "Location Reporting" option was unchecked and her battery life was normal.
Have not tested Google Maps on the road to see if it crashes as some reported in the recent reviews of the app.
I wonder if Google hired the guy who worked on Apple's Maps..........

acejavelin

Reaction score
Location Reporting has been known to cause battery drain, it keeps the phone from sleeping properly and keeps the GPS active all the time, resulting is fast battery drain, especially in "less than efficient" phones like the Rezound. Why Google decided to enable it by default is beyond me though... Have not had any crash issues though, and I use it multiple times every day.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Interesting... I just opened Maps, it immediately notified me that it was updated. I went to Location settings and "Report from this device" is UNCHECKED. Under "Location reporting" it shows "Detect your location" as selected, the other two options "Set your location" and "Do not update your location" are not selected, which I believe allows Google Maps to track you while driving/walking, etc.

So apparently on the Motorola phones (or the RAZRs at least), it's not the default to be set to ON.

acejavelin

Reaction score
This default seems to be almost random... I checked several phones on our office today for this since a tech noted his battery life had dropped considerably over the last week and it appears it was this settings. Our phones are mostly Motorolas and HTCs (about 12-15) and a single Samsung GS3, and the settings were not consistent across any brand or model or version of Maps and most of the people said that they never messed with them. Most of the phones were updated to the latest version already, and most had ICS but a few were GB devices. I couldn't see a specific pattern at all with some of them turned on and others off.

OP
TWC42

TWC42

Reaction score
This default seems to be almost random...
Onthe Google Play Store when I looked for the version number of Maps, it said "varies by model". Perhaps some phones got an update with something other than 6.14.2

Last edited:

acejavelin

Reaction score
Onthe Google Play Store when I looked for the version number of Maps, it said "varies by model". Perhaps some phones got an update with something other than 6.14.2
All the phones that I looked at that did not have 6.14.2 updated to that version, they include HTC Inc2, Rezound, Inc4G, Motorola Droid's 3, X2, Razr, Razr Maxx, Samsung GS3... There is also an LG and a Casio Commando but neither of those people where here to check.

Not really sure which models are affected by "varies by model", I didn't see that as a problem.

Spey

Reaction score
Interestingly, on 12/19 I experienced similar situation as OP (unusual battery consumption).

I had/have previously elected to turn OFF "Location Reporting" (I prefer not to opt in on this type of stuff). Appears to me that the update turned this switch on, on my Razr M. Sucks my battery down considerably on the 19th, and also Data Usage was up for the day. On 12/20 I figured out what was causing the problem "Location Reporting". I am not saying that battery consumption and data consumption is incorrect for this, but I was a little upset to find out that an "Update" triggered this switch to turn ON Location Reporting for Google Maps.

This is one of the things I really can't stand, related to Android App's, changing of user settings without ownership approval. Nothing like owning a "Smart" phone ...

techguru

Reaction score
Thank you! My battery has been cr*p the past few days. This looks to be the issue.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2