Google Maps Suck!!!!!!!!!!

Sleeve

Reaction score
micp, you're running into the same problem I have with the GPS about once a week, and I don't use Navigation much. The GPS will totally flakeball out on where the sats are supposed to be. It'll sync to one, which should be able to give it all the data it needs to find every other sat, but no, it sits there.

Power off, restart, open GPS Status (free app from market), blam, 15 birds in 3 seconds.

Interesting to know that WeatherBug has been tagged as interfering with the GPS. I may have to bop them on the head.

BTW, a relatively unimportant side note is that Google Navigation is currently still in Beta. Google's disclaimers are pretty clear that we should not yet rely on the app for navigation, it outright says it can send you the wrong way down a one way street. Still, the GPS and its drivers are not in beta and you're not complaining about the quality of directions.

Omega384

Reaction score
havent had any problems with my GPS not finding me, but a few weeks back it directed me to not just one, but two non-exsistent bank of america's. Pretty disturbing, and amazing I myself couldnt find a BOA and neither could my phone lol

LordKastle

Reaction score
On an unrelated note I love when people complain about something and then jump to a complete other conclusion.

Like oh my favorite team sucks this year, that means the sport sucks. No just your team sucks.

Meaning if a Google application is faltering it is not the Droid's fault. If your GPS location is always out of whack when using GPS in other applications then I don't know what to tell you except maybe you got an extremely rare faulty device and go have it checked out.

RubberSoul

Reaction score
I have had zero problems with my gps. I just literally pulled my location up in 20 or so seconds, and its accurate up to 6 meters. (and im in an apartment building) I'm actually pretty stoked to be getting my MOTOROKR T505 Bluetooth In-Car Speakerphone tomorrow. I ordered it off amazon.com and got it for 60 bucks. Im hopeing that it will work nicely with google maps, so when the droid spits off some directions, it will pause the music im playing (off pandora or my collection of tunes on my Droid) and give my the directions over my cars speaker system......Not sure if it will or not, but Ill let you know when I get it!

Technoman

Reaction score
I have had MotoRokr T505 for sometime now and it works very well with the Droid overall.

This includes the GPS.

bergdev

Reaction score
My experience with Google Maps and Navigation and its use of GPS on the Droid has been flawless.

Admittedly, Google Maps sometimes comes up with "interesting" directions (like while driving down a main arterial road, sending me into a neighborhood, only to take a U-turn and then come right back out). But this was not a problem related to Droid - the same wacky route was returned when I used my laptop. I reported the problem to Google, they admitted the malfunction, and within a week or two, it disappeared.

Regardless, I usually leave my GPS turned off - it sucks the battery big time. And when I rely on cell tower information, my location can be pretty screwy. I would expect as much. But when I turn on the GPS, within just a minute or two, my location is dead-on accurate.

Hector1959

Reaction score
GPS and GoogleMap

The map is one of the best things I thing works in this phone with GPS. I also have no probles at all with GPS and Googles. You have to see it when using with Sat pictures. Looks so nice that it feels like a real picture while driving.

SGTiger

Reaction score
To me one of the greatest advantages of using Google Maps the Points of Interest it provides. I have never had a standalone GPS for my car that I was satisfied with the POIs.

However with Google Maps, you have a POI database that never needs updating. What standalone GPS unit has a fraction of the POIs that Google Maps has?

lauriep

Reaction score
Mine also works flawlessly. Used it this weekend on a trip that is a bit complicated at one end and it was perfect.

I run Weatherbug free, and have had no issues.