Google Maps set to add bike maps, directions

cisco0910

Reaction score
google Maps is set to provide a new option for getting around town: biking directions The company plans to unveil what it called "the most requested addition to Google Maps" during the National Bike Summit in Washington, D.C. Google Maps users looking for directions between two points will now have the option of selecting"bicycling" from the current drop-down menu that lets you customize a journey with walking, driving, or public transportation options Anyone who has ever tried to bike across San Francisco knows the value of a good bike map in helping to avoid 200-foot hills and city streets that behave more like freeways. Google Maps users have created their own bike maps for cities like New York and Minneapolis, but Google itself hadn't taken that step until now Google obtained much of its data from the Rails-to-Trails Conservancy in putting together the maps, and will have detailed information on bike routes in 150 U.S. cities as of Tuesday night's launch, said Shannon Guymon, Google Maps product manager Bikers will be able to find bike-only paths, bike lanes on city streets, and bike-friendly streets when searching for directions using the tool. Google will also include an estimated travel time alongside the results that factor in hills and fatigue What's the second-most requested feature for Google Maps? Hiking trails, Guymon said.

stevenfstein

Reaction score
My #1 request for the maps is it allowing me to create a custom route and actually use it! Right now the option does not exist. I can go to layers - more layers and find my custom route but there is no way to have the navigation system use it.
Regards.... Steve

kellex

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My #1 request for the maps is it allowing me to create a custom route and actually use it! Right now the option does not exist. I can go to layers - more layers and find my custom route but there is no way to have the navigation system use it.
Regards.... Steve

Why would you use a custom route that you already know? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of a GPS? If you know how to get there, just get there. :p

airwake

Reaction score
Regards.... Steve

Why would you use a custom route that you already know? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of a GPS? If you know how to get there, just get there. :p

I've had this problem. I want directions to someone's house, but it defaults to taking a toll road. I don't want to take the toll road, but it wont let me select a different route. Or if there is an accident and you know the most direct path is backed up, but you can see on the map another path, you can't tell it to avoid a certain section like you can in the full Google maps. I would love this feature.

bloodstains

Reaction score
I'd love to have bike maps on the Droid, this seems to be web only now though, right?