Google Maps Providing Inaccurate Location

kpiskin

Reaction score
I've never seen or read about this problem before, but the other night when I loaded up Google Maps through the car navigation menu it took a very long time to locate me but when it finally did GPS was telling me I was somewhere in Pennsylvania when I was actually in North Carolina. Additionally the GPS was tracking me headed NorthWest through Ohio without following any roads. It appeared as if it was actually tracking something that was flying in a relatively straight line. I tried to restart the app but it continued thinking I was 500+ miles away. Ultimately I restarted the phone and that fixed it, but I have no idea why that would happen in the first place.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the phone just needed a quick reboot. Think of your phone as a computer. When my computer gets slow and sluggish, I do a reboot and fixes it.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I once had a standalone GPS inform me that I was crossing San Francisco bay about three miles north of the Bay Bridge. They aren't infallible.

Reminds me of a story, probably apocryphal, about an early GPS on a BMW in Germany. Man buys car and drives off. Several hours later the car is in a canal. Seems the GPS was unaware that what it thought was a bridge crossing the canal was actually a ferry.

And then there was the time that a GPS directed me to a vacant lot in Long Beach at 2AM and told me I had arrived at a hotel in downtown LA.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I once had a standalone GPS inform me that I was crossing San Francisco bay about three miles north of the Bay Bridge. They aren't infallible.

Reminds me of a story, probably apocryphal, about an early GPS on a BMW in Germany. Man buys car and drives off. Several hours later the car is in a canal. Seems the GPS was unaware that what it thought was a bridge crossing the canal was actually a ferry.

And then there was the time that a GPS directed me to a vacant lot in Long Beach at 2AM and told me I had arrived at a hotel in downtown LA.
I read your similar story in another thread last night and was going to say well, I guess you could have slept in your car in Long Beach in that parking lot.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

I read your similar story in another thread last night and was going to say well, I guess you could have slept in your car in Long Beach in that parking lot.

Yeah, it's the incipient Alzheimer's that has me repeating myself. But at least I don't ride a Kawasaki. :biggrin:

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Yeah, it's the incipient Alzheimer's that has me repeating myself. But at least I don't ride a Kawasaki. :biggrin:
Hey, at least you ride a motorcycle apparently. What ya riding? Remember, I have an old man cruiser since I'm an old man.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm in the elderly crowd, too. At least as far as this forum is concerned. (I don't even have a text message plan.) I currently ride a Valkyrie and a Moto Guzzi. Since I passed the big six-o, however, I don't ride them at the same time.
My buddy has a Moto Guzzi too....and he's not embarassed to ride with me :) And, neither of us are cleaning up oil puddles all the time too like some so-called American-made motorcycles.:icon_ banana:

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm sure I wouldn't be embarrassed to ride with you, either. Do you think we should cease hijacking this thread or shall we just ignore everyone else? :icon_ banana:
Jsh....I guess we did sort of hijack this thread. Don't know where you're located but if you're ever going to be riding in PA, don't forget to PM me.

And, if you find the perfect motorcycle mount for using our Droid while out riding, let me know too. I'd love to use the Google Maps feature but also don't want to use the car suction cup mount because you and I know what fate we'll have if we did that. (this is my attempt to get this thread back on topic by talking about the GPS.)

samiusmc

Reaction score
I had the same problem. At times my Droid said I was in Edmond, OK when I'm in California. I backed my data and settings up using a free app called "My Backup" and did a factory reset. It fixed the problem 100%

OP
K

kpiskin

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. The simple reboot did resolve the issue, but it made me wonder why it happened in the first place. My phone hadn't needed a reboot since the last F/W update.