Google maps no longer works from address book - can't switch from Verizon Navigator

biggles

Reaction score
When I tap on the address of a person on the contact list, it lists a bunch of options for Verizon Navigator. We always use google maps. I believe this happened after the recent update to google maps.

Google navigation works fine when starting up maps app. Again, just won't startup from within contacts.

This is on my wife's Droid DNA. I can still get google navigation to startup from my Samsung Galaxy S3.

Is there any way to get google maps back for directions/navigation from within the contact list?

KeepItReal

Reaction score
You may of inadvertently selected the default app to launch each time you choose to look up directions or tap in an address. I believe you go to apps, manage apps, and then select VS Navigator. And select Clear Defaults. Not sure, but you may want to do the same to Maps, as I am not sure how Android stores this default app association. I did not see a separate app listed for the Navigator, so I hope clearing Maps does it. If not, hopefully someone else from the blog knows.

OP
B

biggles

Reaction score
Google maps is the default already. I called Verizon and they confirmed that Droid DNA owners can no longer use google maps from within the contacts app. I told them I WAS PISSED OFF! My wife is equally PISSED OFF! This is unacceptable.

Is there a workaround by using a third party contacts app from the google play store?

mamawm

Reaction score
Google maps is the default already. I called Verizon and they confirmed that Droid DNA owners can no longer use google maps from within the contacts app. I told them I WAS PISSED OFF! My wife is equally PISSED OFF! This is unacceptable.

Is there a workaround by using a third party contacts app from the google play store?

i just tried this on one of my contacts and it pulled right up to their house in google maps and asked if i wanted directions. so, it does still work. as a sidenote, verizon navigator was one of the first apps i disabled when i got this phone.

KeepItReal

Reaction score
Have you updated your apps? All the icons for Google are gone except for one icon now, Maps, which now has everything in the one app. I just went to my contacts and brought up an address and my options were to use VZ Navigator or Waze (recently purchased by Google). No 'Google' Navigation chose. Curious how your navigation was selectable.

mamawm

Reaction score
Have you updated your apps? All the icons for Google are gone except for one icon now, Maps, which now has everything in the one app. I just went to my contacts and brought up an address and my options were to use VZ Navigator or Waze (recently purchased by Google). No 'Google' Navigation chose. Curious how your navigation was selectable.

Well, I just checked and turns out I haven't updated maps yet. I thought it was set to auto update but i'm glad it didn't this time. Still, i'm curious what happens if verizon navigator is disabled?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mamawm

Reaction score
Updated on tablet and played around with it. May have found a workaround for you. Instead of opening contacts, open maps, type contact's name in search bar (you'll only need to enter the first few letters) and the contact will pop up in a drop down list. Just select and you'll be all set in google maps.

todd1964

Reaction score
mmm interesting. I just open maps and it's a new version. I could not pic a contact to go to. I'll have to check it out more when I get home

todd1964

Reaction score
I'm on version 7.0.2. from what I can tell they've taken away the ability to choose a contact address. I used to be able to choose a contact when getting direction, no longer can do that. Also my zoom gone. use to turn it on through settings. I HATE zooming with my fingers!!!!

pblakk

Reaction score
I'm on version 7.0.2. from what I can tell they've taken away the ability to choose a contact address. I used to be able to choose a contact when getting direction, no longer can do that. Also my zoom gone. use to turn it on through settings. I HATE zooming with my fingers!!!!

Same here. I'm SO hoping they bring back the zoom button or at least add it back as a Labs feature.

mamawm

Reaction score
OK folks, I just learned something on another forum. Open contacts, scroll down to the person , Do NOT open their info. Just click on their picture, or icon, from the main contacts list. It will open up options to call, send email, open maps, and a few other things. Works like a charm. Kuddos to whoever figured this out.

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL

Something similar happened with Maps in the latest Google Maps update for the S4. You can go to the Maps app, then hit settings and uninstall the latest update. This will take you back the the prior setup, and hopefully Google will issue an update soon to Maps that will give us back a more familiar look and function.

Hope this helps.

KeepItReal

Reaction score
Give the new version a chance! Lol. It gives more function, from what I can tell. You can start typing a new address and it literally starts finding the address based on location, much like the suggestion typing in your Google search. Very nice. I use the Google search bar on the front of my screen, and say 'navigate to Starbucks in City and State' (use your own city, state) and that still works. The above suggestion to navigate to an address from your contact list is to go to the contact, long press on the PICTURE of the contact, and press/tap the Little Google Map Icon to navigate to the address. The best thing I have noticed is your can now delete a previous address from your list of addresses that are saved every time you enter one. Before it kept EVERY address and they could not be removed.

genericbrand

Reaction score
Looks like its a new way to navigate

OK folks, I just learned something on another forum. Open contacts, scroll down to the person , Do NOT open their info. Just click on their picture, or icon, from the main contacts list. It will open up options to call, send email, open maps, and a few other things. Works like a charm. Kuddos to whoever figured this out.

You are absolutely correct! It looks like they took away the ability to click the address when the contact detail is opened and replaced it with the ability to click the address whenever you bring up the different processing options available with a contact...

View attachment 65393

Last edited:

todd1964

Reaction score
I STILL MISS THE OLD ZOOM FEATURE!!!!! I hate using the screen to zoom...:(