Google Maps navigation question.

Big Cam

Reaction score
When in Car mode and using the Google Maps navigation app. Is there a way to get it to the view where you can see forward all the time.

What I mean is when you look at it without a route, directions, or a destination, it is a birds eye view like Google Maps always has been. Once you enter a route, it comes down and it's like you are following a little blue arrow close on the road. I want that all the time even without a route to follow. Is that possible?

EDIT: I want this view all the time.
500x_google_nav_splash.jpg

as opposed to this.
google-map.gif

rjax

Reaction score
Set your destination for a place you'll never reach, like somewhere cross-country.

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong here, but I think he wants a mode where it just "follows along" rather than trying to get you somewhere.

OP
Big Cam

Big Cam

Reaction score
Set your destination for a place you'll never reach, like somewhere cross-country.
That's what I have found to be my only option for now, and I'm not crazy about it but it is a work around
I could be wrong here, but I think he wants a mode where it just "follows along" rather than trying to get you somewhere.
That's exactly what I want.

Mule65

Reaction score
I don't think there's a follow me option yet. Instead, I put several Navigate widgets (Home, Work, Cabin, XX golf, etc) into a folder named Navigate. Long press home screen and select Navigate widget near bottom. If you have address info with a contact it's easy to use voice and "Navigate to Home" for example.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
When in Car mode and using the Google Maps navigation app. Is there a way to get it to the view where you can see forward all the time.
Nope. Been discussed many times. There is no 3D Follow Me map. I suggest letting Google know that you want it as it seems to be a popular request. You can have a 2D one in Maps if you hit My Location.

The workaround is to use the destination that you'll never reach, mentioned above. Other GPS nav apps might offer this.

Lars

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Another work around option is to set a location a few hundred feet from where you are. Once you reach the location the map will change to Google Street View. There should be an arrow in the bottom left corner, and when you hit that you will return the the "Follow Me Map". As long as you only hit that arrow, and not the back button it should continue to follow you around. The only glitch I found was when you are stopped, it will return to the bird's eye view, but as soon as you start moving again it will return to the following mode.

OP
Big Cam

Big Cam

Reaction score
Another work around option is to set a location a few hundred feet from where you are. Once you reach the location the map will change to Google Street View. There should be an arrow in the bottom left corner, and when you hit that you will return the the "Follow Me Map". As long as you only hit that arrow, and not the back button it should continue to follow you around. The only glitch I found was when you are stopped, it will return to the bird's eye view, but as soon as you start moving again it will return to the following mode.
I acidentally discovered this last night, good tip.