1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Google Maps Latitude?

Discussion in 'Android Applications' started by Dan.Droid, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Dan.Droid

Dan.Droid New Member

These will probably be stupid questions, but here they go anyway.

Is there any point to Latitude beyond you and your friends sharing your location all the time?

Since I have no friends that are currently using Latitude, is there any point to me using it?

How would I go about adding friends to Latitude? Will contacts in my phone automatically be added if they start using it?

I have to imagine it would drain the battery faster than not having it on, am I right on that?

That's all I can think of for now. Thanks in advance for your patience.
  2. MrTommy

MrTommy New Member

Not for me

I've not found any real reason for even trying this. What in the world do I want anyone knowing my every move for? This is the stuff they use for tracking child molesters isn't it? Ha.

I remember a couple years ago, several of my friends (we're all truckers) had enV2 phones with that GPS tracking option set up, so they could keep track of each other. It showed location and speed. Well, turns out the safety man somehow found out about this and began randomly checking out the drivers who had this activated (with his own phone). One guy got a three day suspension for driving over the company speed limit (he was doing 70 downhill). That ended any inkling of doing this on my part!
  3. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

It's a cool app me and the wife use...I check to see where she is on her commute if I need her to pick up something on the way home...like for dinner. Or if she's letting her phone goto VM, I check to see if she's downtown in the courthouse and the phone is in the car....
  4. Varking

Varking New Member

My mother who worries too much makes my father track me every now and again when it is snowing here in NC to make sure I make it to my fiance's house just fine. It is a bit silly but it is better then her calling every five minutes to find out where I am at.
  5. MrTommy

MrTommy New Member

My post was not to say I'm not impressed with the technology. I think it's mind boggling what we can do these days.
  6. Backnblack

Very true, But just as anything, there are those that will twist it for their benefit.
  7. bgreen82

bgreen82 New Member

would my wife be able to tell if im at the strip club?
  8. nitsuj

nitsuj New Member

I've found it to be completely unreliable. As I type this, mine had me about 5 miles east of my actual location. After a refresh, it located me sort of close to where I actually am, but now shows my brother in the exact same spot 5 miles east of here that it showed me in a few minutes ago. He's not there either. So have fun in the strip club. ;-) If anyone other than my brother was using it, I'd just turn it off. He and I use it to mess with and check to see if it works well. If I felt my moves were being tracked, I'd not participate.
  9. bigtmonee

bigtmonee New Member

Yeah I was going to start my own thread as to the main attraction to using this app. Couldn't really think of any.
  10. Backnblack

If on agps then you can be off by a lot
    If on gps, It should be spot on.....
  11. MrTommy

MrTommy New Member

Spot on if you're standing still

Yeah, I've found that if I use the GPS satellite setup, it IS spot on for where I am. And for just that reason, why would you not use the satellite setting?

I'm talking about just using the mapping thing, not the latitude thing.

And, like others have attested to, in fairly short order I run off the map. My little blue indicator is moving along on the blue and white background. Actually, I think this happens more when using the satellite picture than the bare map.
  12. Dan.Droid

Dan.Droid New Member

So, basically there's no real point to it beyond your friends (and family and bosses, etc) keeping track of each other. Yeah..... I think I'll pass on that.

My maps will sometimes also be off by a considerable amount, but I've noticed that it is always when I am indoors. The moment I step outside, it snaps to my accurate position. So, I assume that it is just interference from the buildings I am in.
  13. Dan.Droid

Dan.Droid New Member

Mine does that occasionally. If I zoom out a level (or 2), it usually stops doing that.
  14. Mr Steve

Mr Steve New Member

I use it. Comes in handy at times.

It's a 2.5 hour drive to my sister's house. While her phone won't run Lattitude, it is available on a PC through her iGoggle (or whatever it's called) page. With the Droid in the car it's plugged into power so I don't mind running the GPS. Plus the navigation, even though I know the way, may let me know if there's a traffic snarl up ahead. Nothing yet, thankfully. Regardless she knows where I am and I avoid the 'where are you' phone calls that interrupt my Pandora streaming on the trip down.

Would I let it run 24/7 - no. The GPS, which is required to get any decent fix, would drain the battery much too quickly. In the office I pop the Droid into the MM Dock, but I can't get a GPS fix through the roof. Plus I don't need her tracking me unless there's a valid reason to do so.

Since it's just a layer on the Map app it's easy enough to toggle on & off. While I can think of a couple of other situations where it might come in handy I mainly use it going to & fro my sister's house. Now if I still had the boat it might be a nice safety net just in case. I guess the same thing would apply during any land or water based trip. If something goes sideways there's a track of where I am. Worse case scenario someone at home could send out the calvary to rescue me if needed. Just don't rely on it without the GPS turned on.

Or you can spend the money and buy a SPOT SATELLITE MESSENGER :: HOME PAGE Spot Messenger to track you. Caveat: Spot works where cell phones don't. I'm not planning on heading anywhere quite that remote.
  15. Antonio Loveless

Antonio Loveless New Member

I happen to like Latitude!

First, I think you have to be accepted by another person before they can start viewing your every move. Even so, if you don't want to be 'tracked', just log out lol.

For the most part I've used it with a number of my friends and family. When we're out at the bars and clubs, no need to step out to give directions, "hit me up on latitude!" It's a lot of fun for bar hopping and house parties. Other then that, mine usually is not on unless I'm messing with it now and then. :)
  16. Backnblack

GPS has been on 24/7 since getting the Droid, No noticeable battery drain at all...
  17. Antonio Loveless

Antonio Loveless New Member

Same here Backnblack. My Droid lasts longer than my previous phone, the BB Tour. That's with GPS on. :motdroidhoriz:
  18. cisco0910

cisco0910 New Member

luv latitude ! if you dont want to be tracked theres privacy settings. one setting its called set your location, which you can type an address in and everybody on latitude will think your there the whole time when your not. or as someone mentioned just log out. theres also a "hide your location"setting. also to the person who said there wayoff map. ..check your settings also. sounds to me your gps is turned off and when its off it'll your show your location as to which cell phone tower your using.
  19. MNTNBKR

MNTNBKR Member

I could see Latitude being useful in a few rare situations. I personally would / do prefer to not be kept track of, but if I were on vacation at some touristy place or amusement park with friends or family it would be cool to set everyone up on latitude and know where everyone's at when you're ready to meet back up.

Another situation would be off-roading with a group of people, and knowing where everyone is.

Day-to-day though, I keep my location private.
  20. Mr Steve

Mr Steve New Member

Perhaps I should have said 'When the GPS is active it drains the battery too quickly'. I also leave the GPS toggled on 24/7, but the icon only appears in the notification bar when I'm in Maps, Navigation, or some other app that is actively using it. When I exit from Maps the GPS icon goes away.

While Lattitude will continue to send your 'location' based on just the cell tower positioning it's too rough of an estimate to be of any real use. Good enough for knowing where I am within a mile or so (quick test just now show me 0.6 miles away from where I am) but not enough for someone to meet up with me. I guess it would suffice if someone wanted to see if I was at work or at home (going by the rough location/neighborhood) but not enough to see if I was at the grocery store across the street from work.
Search tags for this page
can someone tell if i manually set latitude
can you tell when someone sets location on latitude?
google latitude droid razr
help figuring out someone has manually set their location on

ho/do u know if someone set their latitude location manually

how can i tell if someone has manually set their latitude lo
how can u tell if someone manually set their location on lat
how do i know if he block me on latitude?
how do you know if someone set location on latitude
how to tell a person has set location on latitude?
how to tell if a latitude check in is real
how to tell if someone is manually setting their location on

how to tell if someone set their location on latitude

indications someone has manually set there location on latit

will galaxy users know if i set latitude location?