Google Maps Consistently Freezes CM 7.0.3.

Discussion in 'Cyanogenmod' started by AlphaMack, May 29, 2011.

1. AlphaMack

AlphaMack New Member

I'm at the point where I'm ready to go back to Froyo with all of the bugs in CM7, but I would like to know if anyone can figure out a fix for the latest Google Maps with CM 7.0.3. I can consistently reproduce this problem regardless of kernel, V6 supercharged setting, or with/without compcache.

If I open Google Maps and pan around to a few different places for a few minutes, after enough tiles have been cached the phone completely locks up to the point where I'll see the boot animation or I need to pull the battery. I like to use the traffic layer and I suspected that it may have been the culprit but I was able to reproduce this issue without it. No other changes to the settings from the defaults have been made.

If I open Maps and "follow" my travel (as you would with a GPS device), Maps will also completely lock up the phone after a few minutes as above.

I have tried clearing caches, running the permissions fix, reformatting the cache partition, wiping the dalvik cache, uninstalling/reinstalling Maps, reflashing GApps, applying different V6 supercharged settings, turning on/off compcache, and flashing different kernels (can reproduce this with stock too).

Any ideas?
  2. A.C.Sanchez

A.C.Sanchez New Member

Common issue. I reverted to a prior version of maps - works fine.

I use 4.0.0 with no problems. Obviously you lose some of the newer functionality, but GPS getting you from point A to point B works.
  3. AlphaMack

AlphaMack New Member

Using Zepplin's Aggressive 2 settings in his Supercharged script seems to be a temporary band-aid on the problem. Unfortunately, Maps will still lock up after a while but with less frequency.

I will definitely move back to a prior version of Maps at least until a fix is committed. Thanks for your post.
  4. buellboy9

buellboy9 Member

That was my "fix" for this problem. The latest Google Maps is definitely "broken" on CM7.0.3 on the OG Droid. Thank goodness for Titanium Backup!
  5. zeppelinrox

zeppelinrox Premium Member Premium Member Developer

With the 3g speed boost settings in supercharger thread, Maps actually seems to run even better so maybe see if that helps
  6. itchn2go

itchn2go New Member

where can i get an old version of Google Maps? Can someone post it?

I think the problem is lack of memory and the GPS sensors get turned off. I use CoPilot too adn before a crash or lock up it tells me it lost GPS connection.
  7. buellboy9

buellboy9 Member

Thanks to Link2SD, I have 191MB of available internal memory out of 262MB. I don't think it's a memory issue.
  8. itchn2go

itchn2go New Member

different memory. the memory you are referrint to is storage (think hard drive) the memory that gingerbread is similar to RAM in your computer...completely different.

Now, can someone post the .apk for GM4 if that works?

Thanks,

9. buellboy9

buellboy9 Member

Thank you, but after thirty years in the computer field I think I know the difference between computer memory (RAM) and solid-state "hard drives." The 191MB of free memory is the Droid's memory. The SD Card has 7Gb of available storage. Capice?
  10. Diab210

Diab210 New Member

Um.... no not quite. The 191 free out of 262MB free is for 'internal storage' not RAM. Look under settings>storage and its listed their below the capacity of the sdcard. Having all of that 262MB free isn't going to stop the os and map app to fight over available RAM.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  11. buellboy9

buellboy9 Member

Under "About Phone" CM7.0.3 lists:

Mem info (avail/total)
    32 MB / 226 MB

Is that what you're referring to?
  12. Diab210

Diab210 New Member

Yes that's the phone's ram.

13. buellboy9

buellboy9 Member

So Link2SD doesn't give you any more usable memory... it just lets you install more apps? Well THAT sucks...
  14. Diab210

Diab210 New Member

As I understand it yes. Link2sd just pushes applications over to the sd storage so more apps can be installed. There is virtual memory (compcache) in cm7 which I think uses a small portion of sdcard memory and uses it as if it was ram. I know compcache aims at increasing the effective usable amount of ram of the device but I am not entirely sure exactly how it does it

15. itchn2go

itchn2go New Member

guess all the experience did not do much for you Capice?

16. buellboy9

buellboy9 Member

Current Google Maps runs just fine under stock, rooted Froyo (FRG83G), and I've got a lot less available memory on that. Problem seems to be CM7 related.
  17. AlphaMack

AlphaMack New Member

It's definitely memory related. I can also confirm that there are no issues with Maps using my better half's LG Ally running stock Froyo.

While on the issue with memory, I found that disabling JIT vastly improved things with CM7, although your mileage will certainly vary. I also moved from the Supercharger Aggressive 2 settings to Balanced 3 before settling on Aggressive 1. Unfortunately, I can still cause the latest Maps to freeze up my D1 even with those adjustments...just not as often as before.

From a lot of reading here and there, JIT does not seem to play too well with the D1.
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  18. buellboy9

buellboy9 Member

First I've read this myself, but I'll keep that in mind if/when I go back to CM7. I just got tired of all the random lockups, reboots, and FCs. Every GB based ROM I've tried on the D1 has been the same story, though CM7 has been better than most.
  19. rsimpson

rsimpson New Member

I'm running Liquid GB 2.1 and am running into this same Google Maps lockup issue as described in the OP.

Man, I tell you what. It seems like every new release of GB ROM fix one thing and break another. I'm just not sure anymore that GB and OG Droid are worth it.
  20. AlphaMack

AlphaMack New Member

Just a heads up that the issue seems to be resolved in CM 7.1. I'm running the RC1 build and Maps seems to be OK.
Search tags for this page
google map android search freeze
google map crash freeze search
google maps 7.0.3 apk

google maps android freezes

google maps crashes cyanogenmod
google maps freeze samsung galaxy tab 7 plus
google maps freezes with gps turned on
google maps galaxy tab 7 plus locks up
google maps hangs android
maps 7.0.3 apk
maps crashes cyanogenmod galaxy s4