Google maps closing on me

Discussion in 'Project Elite' started by drpaul07, May 10, 2011.

1. drpaul07

drpaul07 Member

I use PE4.2 and every time I attemp to use google maps, it closes on me after being open for a few seconds. It force close, it just exits the app and goes back to the homescreen. Why is that and how can I fix it?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  2. cloudstrife05

cloudstrife05 New Member

Don't think its a PE issue. It happens to me regardless of what I'm running.
    I would like to know why though

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  3. gsDroid

gsDroid New Member

Having used pe4.2 and google maps/navigation without problems, I do not think it is the rom. I suggest you go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Maps. See if you are on the latest, v5.4. In any case, do a force stop if it is running, clear cache, clear data, and uninstall. Then go to the Market and re-install. For best results, do not install to the sdcard and don't use any map widgets until you test the app to make sure it is working ok.

If you install to sdcard and use any map widgets, you could have problems.
  4. sbenson

sbenson New Member

This is a memory issue and maps is getting killed without warning because your phone is running out of memory. Not everyone is affected by this because everyone runs a different setup on their phones.

The issue stems from the maps app running from the content provider slot (if you're familiar with auto memory manager you'll know what I'm talking about) which is among the first to be killed in a low memory situation. I had assumed that since maps was the app that I was using that it would have been the foreground app or at least the visible app but this was not the case. So basically, whenever your phone's memory dips below the setting for content provider, it will be killed.

I verified this by lowering my content provider value to one that was lower than the visible app setting and sure enough maps would not close under any circumstances. However, anything I had that ran in the visible app, secondary, or hidden would be killed first. For example, I run a fancy widgets clock on my homescreen and it would always get killed by doing this (i.e. the clock would stop syncing) which is not what I wanted. At this point with the og droid I don't see any way around this to make every user happy.

You could try Auto Memory Manager and do the following:

foreground: 8
    visible: 12
    secondary: 24
    hidden: 30
    content: 10
    empty: 40

This should keeps maps alive for you, but unfortunately it will probably kill other apps that you need. If the apps that get killed don't bother you, this may be your answer. Otherwise, buckle down and accept the fact that the android os is slowly eclipsing the capabilities of the og droid.

Edit: I'd like to add that I've had this issue across multiple gingerbread builds include CM and GPA.

Edit: Also if your launcher is locked into memory, this is only making the problem worse. I have launcher pro set equal to 2 via the local.prop method and I'm using Pete's default low memory values for GPA which is 8,12,16,24,28,32. This has fixed my problem completely so far. You might check GPA 15 out and see if it works for you.
Search tags for this page
android maps app keeps crashing
android navigation keeps closing
galaxy s3 keeps shutting down google maps
google maps app keeps shutting down
google maps closes

google maps keeps closing android

google maps shut down
google maps shut down automatically
google maps shuts down

google maps shuts down android

google maps shutting down