Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez

moabefore-after.jpg

Google Maps 6.0 fοr Android wаѕ released οn Tuesday wіth several enhancements, thе mοѕt notable οf whісh іѕ indoor map support. Google hopes thе update wіƖƖ hеƖр Android users more easily navigate shopping malls, airports аnԁ οthеr public places. Users аrе аbƖе tο search throughout floor plans, tοο, whісh means a traveler саn search fοr a coffee shop οr thе nearest restroom іn аn airport. Google ѕаіԁ floor plans wіƖƖ grow whеn a user іѕ zoomed-іn fully οn a building whеrе mapping data іѕ available; thе differences between indoor аnԁ outdoor maps саn bе seen іn thе image above.

Indoor maps are currently available in selected locations in the U.S. and Japan. Click here to see the current list.

[video=youtube;Gy-DI_bWElg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy-DI_bWElg&feature=player_embedded#![/video]

[video=youtube;P42INh3QATs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=P42INh3QATs[/video]

Source: Android.net via engadget via Google Blog

William_04_x

Reaction score
I also noticed a new permission for Maps to control NFC in today's update.

Sent from my MZ604 using DroidForums

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
Very cool, wish it would get real time tracking within buildings as well although the only way to do it would be using Wifi based location tracking which is not always available.

TyrantII

Reaction score
I want the ability to load in a Google Maps saved route into Google navigation....

It be nice to overide the GPS to tell it to go a certaint way.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
The airport navigation is a very nice feature.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
How does it tell you where you are in the building and if it's still using traditional satellite/GPS technology, not only is that creepy they can pinpoint where I'm standing but what if the signal is blocked from the outside?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Well the barometer in the Nexus will help with location indoors, correct?

Actually a terrific update. I hadn't ever thought about it, but I've found myself in an airport or mall many times wondering where to go. Could also come in handy at stadiums - if there's a long line at the gate and your seat is on the other side of the stadium, anyway, you can walk around to another gate.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
It will be funny when people with "digestion problems" start getting targeted ads promoting toilet paper.

R

RETG

People need a map for the inside of a shopping mall?:blink: What's next, a map of the inside of every house? Make it more convenient for the burgler.:icon_evil::biggrin:

Jeyman

Reaction score
It be nice for malls if you are in a area you dont no well. its not going to help me at a mall down the block lol. Well it could I guess depending on how up to date they keep the maps(new stores and what not)

I only hit the mall maybe two times a month. Nothing like going there and seeing a closed store you planed to go to!