Google Maps 5.0 Problems

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid X' started by lghtngblt02, Jan 28, 2011.

1. lghtngblt02

lghtngblt02 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was just curious if any other DXer has experienced this or if it was just me? As most of you know Google Maps 5.0 released back in December. I upgraded to the new version shortly after release. A week or so later I experienced a freeze, and reboot after starting Google Maps up. This was the first time I had this happen. I wasn't to sure the cause, at first, not expecting it to be Maps because I constantly used the app for GPS travel prior to the update. A couple weeks more went by, not really using Maps to often because of the holidays, so I didnt notice anything. Beginning of January I began using Maps more than normal again and had the freeze and reboot while starting up the App. This is when I began researching to see if others had had this happen. My results were vary sparse and inconclusive because of other app problems users were having so more then just Maps was deleted and or downgraded. I then looked on the comments under the App on the market, to which I found a couple of ppl saying similiar things to what I was experiencing. As a test I unistalled the update... back to 4.5! Yes, I lost the 3d feature, caching and a few other things, but the since then, its been about a week, Maps has been snappier, and I havent had the freeze reboot issue while using Maps. So has anyone else seen this happen?

2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I'm not sure this should be in this area because app issues usually affect all devices. But I do have a question for you. Did it occur to you to uninstall the app and reinstall it to see if it made a difference? It could be you just need to reinstall 5.0 and you'll be fine.

3. lghtngblt02

lghtngblt02 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Nah I it didnt... maybe it was a goofed up update. I guess I couldnt see the forest for the trees. :D Good point, one reason I love forums! Thanks I'll try a re-install and go from there. dancedroid

I apologize for the location of this thread... again being a tad too focused. Thanks for your help.

4. xush

xush Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Happened on my wife's phone last night; DEFINITELY maps causing it, she's barely got anything else on her phone. I was just about to pull the battery when it finally started rebooting.

5. lghtngblt02

lghtngblt02 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, I agree... just did a reinstall, been playing with it for about 20 mins, opened Maps checked latitude, set up a navigation to a friends house...it was fine... backed all the way to close... shot a couple texts, surfed facebook...some more texts... reopened it, just did a little swiping around on the map, it was fine... did a couple other things like emails, etc and reopened Maps and BAM it froze and shutdown while it didnt reboot this time but has done that before, so an extended power button hold and finally it reboots! I am going back to 4.5 which gave me no problems until this update. Hopefully the next update this phone will like. I am not understanding its problems.

Now my wifes DX is running it fine. I am jst not sure what the deal is, and we both are running exactly this same apps, with the exception shes using yahoo mail and the normal VM and I have gmail, an additional corporate email and I am using GV. I thought maybe it was Latitude but shes running that too. So I am at a loss.

#5 lghtngblt02, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  6. kevinkar

kevinkar Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have noticed that it tends to get "freaked out" somehow when you have moved from the last location you used it sufficiently far enough away such that it appears to have a problem locating you and placing that point of view on the screen. Many times it just draws a blank grid and restarting it doesn't do much.

I have cleared the cache several times and restarted it with GPS on and that tends to make it work right again. It has never frozen on my though and I updated it to the new version when it came out.

You could try clearing the cache, making sure the GPS is on and all that. Might help. But if you've already decided to go back a version that's probably just as good a solution too!

7. Kidd_Funkadelic

Kidd_Funkadelic New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    On my fascinate (2.1) I get frequent lock ups running Maps that require me to pull the battery. Very frustrating. I have my fingers crossed that when the elusive 2.2 update comes that this will go away...

8. brianes99

brianes99 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    no problems

I haven't had any problems on my dx using google maps 5. I use it with the traffic layer frequently. Also use it with several geocaching apps and no crash problems

9. pmurray633

pmurray633 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    the problem that i have is that 3d building dont work

10. Technoman

Technoman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No problems with my Google Maps 5. Seems a little slower, but that is all

11. xush

xush Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just experienced the freeze/reboot on my phone. I'm running a ton of stuff on my X, but it's generally very stable. As Maps tried to find my location it froze. Started rebooting about 30 secs after that, much quicker than my wife's phone which is practically stock.

Not sure what is causing it, but right now it's the only app locking up our phones

12. Natey2

Natey2 Active Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Noticed it locking up my DroidX on some occassions; needed to pull battery to recover. :(
    But I use their Navigation plugin/module, which I think is still in Beta; Nav splash screen goes away too quickly to confirm...

Will try uninstall and reinstall next.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Search tags for this page
droid razr maxx crashes while using google maps
droid razr maxx maps problems
droid x google maps problem
google droid map app problems
google maps cause droid razr to reboot

google maps crashes droid x

google maps droid x crash

verizon droid crashes when using google gps
why does google maps crash my droid x