Google Maps 5.0 Now Available

silentbob343

Reaction score
Verified to be working perfectly on most units/rom's, it is a lack of knowledge issue, not with maps 5...

I've got it installed on my D1 running UD 2.5, and on my wife's D2. I can twist to rotate on hers perfectly, but on mine it doesn't work. Strange...
heh running running smoked glass ROM 11.1 and no rotate either. I'll test on the old lady's stock droid.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well... try clearing data and cache and restarting it.

Cache, have clearing option, it was at 23Mb when I did, evidently as you scroll around, it caches those, I suppose if you go to nav, then it will DL and cache that route's maps as well.

I also noticed we no longer have the bubble buttons for call and nav if one long presses a POI, that IMO is likely either a tradeoff on the new map structure itself, or that they just haven't recoded that part of the program back in. (Maps 5.0.1 ?)

In addition, I have measure selected along with scale in labs, on restarts the measure icon doesn't appear, though checked in labs. NBD ...

Remember it's an even release hehehe (.0)

nubby

Reaction score
twist

Original Droid owner, am I missing something on how to rotate the 3D map? Or am I just misunderstanding its functions...the "twist" effect isn't work? User or phone?

Use 2 fingers and twist the page.

bart2546

Reaction score
Ok what an I doing wrong? My map is still version 4.5. No update button in the program that I can see, however the new version is in the market but but as an update, as a whole new download. Is this how I have to go about updating?

Regards,
Brandon
Sent from my Verizon Droid X

bart2546

Reaction score
I don't have that listed. I have a downloads option and maps is not listed. I'll just download it like new from the market.

Regards,
Brandon

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't have that listed. I have a downloads option and maps is not listed. I'll just download it like new from the market.

Regards,
Brandon

Yes, just "re-install" it from the market and you should be ok.

bart2546

Reaction score
Seems good to go. Now I'm trying to recalibrate the compass. What a pain in the butt. I just got it for the first time last week blue I want to do it again to make sure and it's almost impossible haha. Thanks for the help!

Regards,
Brandon

zero7404

Reaction score
i didnt notice with the previous version but i saw an ad at the top of the map .... of all the ads that could come up this one was for sex lubricants .... lol

i hate ads on my apps, adfree apparently didnt pick it up. im starting to not like google for this.

sent via wireless device

zero7404

Reaction score
as a matter of fact i want to revert back to my old google maps now ....

sent via wireless device

bart2546

Reaction score
I don't particularly care for sexual ads either as if someone who doesn't know any better is looking over your shoulder, they might not think too highly of you.

That being said, that's what our takes to keep updates, GPS navigation, and maps free, I can deal with it.

Regards,
Brandon

griz8791

Reaction score
To those of you who think 3D isn't working, could it be because you're not in one of the "100+" cities for which Google has 3D buildings. I am far, far, away from any of those cities yet when I turn on the "terrain" layer and then do the 3D gesture, I get 3D terrain contour.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sorry Griz, two different things here.

Terrain 3D is just terrain, always been that way.

Maps 5.0 3D is certain cities, and you will only see the buildings if you are in one of those cities, zoomed in to 500Ft or so, and no layers on.