google maps 3.4 night mode??

ucpro

Reaction score
i just read that it has night mode, but i don't see an option for it. Has anybody gotten it to work?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
haven't heard anything, but that'd be great.

the new 2.1 clock dim is alot dimmer than 2.0.1, but they really need to turn off the four buttons.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
That update was released for Android 2.1 on the Nexus One (not the Droid yet). It has already been ported for the Droid and includes pinch to zoom to go along with the night mode. If you have rooted your phone, you can install it now. It also came with the newest Sholes ROM that was just released today.

bamfsig45

Reaction score
Anything that uses the Maps API will crash though, at least that is what I have experienced with Weather Bug. Others are saying this too so thats why I tested it and proved they were right. It does work good until something needs to access it. Im using the Bugless Beast rom which included this version of Google maps. So maybe the stand alone apk wouldnt cause this? I'd like to know.

OP
U

ucpro

Reaction score
That update was released for Android 2.1 on the Nexus One (not the Droid yet). It has already been ported for the Droid and includes pinch to zoom to go along with the night mode. If you have rooted your phone, you can install it now. It also came with the newest Sholes ROM that was just released today.

I have it installed with bb, I just cant find where you can go to night mode

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Anything that uses the Maps API will crash though, at least that is what I have experienced with Weather Bug. Others are saying this too so thats why I tested it and proved they were right. It does work good until something needs to access it. Im using the Bugless Beast rom which included this version of Google maps. So maybe the stand alone apk wouldnt cause this? I'd like to know.

What version of BB are you running? I put the new on last night (2/3) and 'heard' others say that but it does NOT crash for me... I did a search from xScope, pulled up the map, selected 'get directions' and it opens the Map program perfectly. I believe that was one of the things addressed in last nights build...

And no, I can't find the 'night' mode either.. ?maybe it automatically adjusts based on the time??

Last edited:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I installed the MT Maps last night including in the Sholes ROM. Didn't crash on me either...

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Night mode automatic and ONLY in NAV

Just found several press releases regarding the update. Apparently it switches to "night mode" automatically. Also several of the releases make it sound like this mode is only in the Nav and not on the maps... Guess we'll have to wait a few hours to find out.

Google Maps 3.4 for Android Brings New Features - Including starring and personalized suggestions - Softpedia

Excerpt:
Lastly, be sure to check out the newly added "night mode" in Navigation, which will automatically turn on for easier Navigation viewing at night,”

OP
U

ucpro

Reaction score
wow that'll be slick if it adjusts based on the time. the only thing that would bother me is it turning to night mode too early or too late.

bamfsig45

Reaction score

What version of BB are you running? I put the new on last night (2/3) and 'heard' others say that but it does NOT crash for me... I did a search from xScope, pulled up the map, selected 'get directions' and it opens the Map program perfectly. I believe that was one of the things addressed in last nights build...

And no, I can't find the 'night' mode either.. ?maybe it automatically adjusts based on the time??

Im running the 0.7.4 version and the only app I have tried it with is Weather Bug when you try to view the radar the weather bug app crashes. I havent tried it with anything else.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just checked the Nav and "night mode" is indeed working:icon_ banana:. It's nothing major, they just darkened the map and dimmed the title/instruction window but it would be easier on the eyes at night. Still odd there's no way to toggle it on/off. But at least it a bit of progress.

Pete just updated his AllDroid post with a patch to fix the Map problem.
http://alldroid.org/viewtopic.php?f=309&t=1553

Last edited:
OP
U

ucpro

Reaction score
Just checked the Nav and "night mode" is indeed working:icon_ banana:. It's nothing major, they just darkened the map and dimmed the title/instruction window but it would be easier on the eyes at night. Still odd there's no way to toggle it on/off. But at least it a bit of progress.

Pete just updated his AllDroid post with a patch to fix the Map problem.
AllDroid - View topic - [ROM] Bugless Beast V0.7.4 (Maps Update Available)

yes sir it DOES i'm pumped now!! i need to sell my tomtom now. they're not getting my money for updates.