Google maps 3.4.0--Multitouch

droiddict

Reaction score
How do I do that? I looked on MARKET but didnt find google maps, just a google sky view.
i searched "maps"

I tried that and cant find any other google products except skymap. Is there a way to update google maps while in google maps?

Go to the Marketplace and click on the menu button at the bottom of the screen. Click downloads. You should see Google Maps with an update available on the download screen.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hey this could be a bad sign for a 2.1 update for the Droid......cause we expected all this in the new firmware update, not through the Market...

What if this means we probably won't get 2.1 now? I mean I'm happy with my Droid now, but its nice to be in the back of my mind that we'll get a firmware upate eventually.....you know?

jamko101

Reaction score
Engadget is such a *****, honestly "in Google Maps, anyway" could they be any more *****y about Android/Google :rolleyes:
The only site I hate more than Engadget is phonearena. Engadget has terrible Apple bias, but their hard-on for Apple & Steve Jobs is second only to phonearena's. Theirs is freaking massive. I swear, they would have a love child with an iPhone 3G if they could. I bet they probably already tried that.

The chubby guy on phonearena who always does video reviews is a complete moron. He's always got his big, fat, chubby-fingered hand holding the phone in their pictures. He also writes terrible reviews. I think what he does doesn't even qualify as writing. He's absolutely terrible.

Don't get me started on his video reviews. The guy should never be on camera, both in still shots and in video. He's stupid, slow, and a complete a-hole. You should have seen the video he did for the BlackBerry Storm 2. I'm pretty sure he would have rather been anywhere else in the world, doing anything else, than be doing his video review for the Storm2.

Regardless, Engadget is run by AOL. They are possibly the worst company in history. I'm not surprised they would hire editors like Joshua Topolsky.

HAHA "iPhone love child" haven't heard that one yet, lol. I usually check engadget just for the updates on all things electronic, don't really care about the reviews they post. I guarantee I wouldn't have known about the map update until my phone actually told me. I also learned about wireless tether for the Droid from them, and when the first 600mhz OC was possible. I find them a good news source.

Riley42

Reaction score
I think this means the opposite. I think we're really close to 2.1 now that this is released. Why wouldn't we get 2.1? Aren't we just waiting on Motorola to release their version of it optimized for the Droid?

JFDroid

Reaction score
It's that come with night mode navigation????
I couldn't find night mode, but i see favorites

I think someone said that night mode is only for the navigation portion of Google Maps, and that it activates automatically (there's no place in the settings or menu where you turn it on/off).

Seems kind of cool to not have to hassle with it. Hehe.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think this means the opposite. I think we're really close to 2.1 now that this is released. Why wouldn't we get 2.1? Aren't we just waiting on Motorola to release their version of it optimized for the Droid?

It could mean that....I'm just saying that it could be a bad sign...

And no, we don't know what we're waiting on officially....everything is basically just speculation...

JFDroid

Reaction score
Hey this could be a bad sign for a 2.1 update for the Droid......cause we expected all this in the new firmware update, not through the Market...

What if this means we probably won't get 2.1 now? I mean I'm happy with my Droid now, but its nice to be in the back of my mind that we'll get a firmware upate eventually.....you know?

I disagree. Google Maps, unlike live wallpapers, 5 home screens and other things included in the 2.1 update, is something that we are fortunate enough to be able to receive via a market update.

Google obviously wanted us to have the Maps update as soon as possible. I'm pretty sure they couldn't do the same with Gallery and the Browser because they are system applications, and while Maps can be considered a system application since so many things depend on it and it comes with every Android phone, it's a little different since we've always received upgrades to Google Maps via the market.

They probably could have just updated the browser and gallery for the Nexus One in the update and left all those Nexus One users to get the Google Maps update via the marketplace, but they probably just included the Maps update with the 2.1 OTA update to save everyone a little bit of time.

If you think about it, this means that Google is actually giving us as much as they can as fast as they can. As for the Gallery and Browser multitouch updates that the Nexus One got, the Nexus One is done all by Google, without really anyone else in the middle. It's their baby, their special child. Of course they are going to update the Nexus One first - because it's the easiest and quickest, because they have the most control. We Droid users are a bit less lucky - we won't get the update until Motorola optimizes the code for our phones, but then we will get everything the Nexus One got. I can nearly guarantee it.

Honestly, I'm glad Google's doing it this way. It actually shows more promise for 2.1 coming than anything so far. Yay!

kingfish

Reaction score
i searched "maps"

I tried that and cant find any other google products except skymap. Is there a way to update google maps while in google maps?

Go to the Marketplace and click on the menu button at the bottom of the screen. Click downloads. You should see Google Maps with an update available on the download screen.

I can only see "my downloads" and its not under that section. I am using ANDROID MARKET. Is this the market everyone is talking about? Also, this is the htc eris phone. Thanks.

blue rocket

Official DF Vendor
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.grafixpressions.com
^ nexus one uses who already have maps 3.4 as part of their OTA upgrade still got the upgrade via the market. it has nothing to do with us getting or not getting 2.1

jamko101

Reaction score

It could mean that....I'm just saying that it could be a bad sign...

And no, we don't know what we're waiting on officially....everything is basically just speculation...
That's very true, it is mostly just speculation. No one really knows what they are going to come out (hopefully something good :)). Look at the iPad, everyone was so excited about getting something super amazing... the rumor mill was generating things that got everybody so hyped up. When it finally came out, so many people were dissapointed because expectations for it were so high. Just better to not believe what people are saying and wait for the official announcement... But whats the fun in that ;)

iPirate

Reaction score

chill out, this doesnt mean anything. Google updated an app, that is it.

olletsocmit

Reaction score
Thank god. i live down the city. Philly. this is so much easier for me now. i love multitouch. its stupid that the 2.1 update... which is never gonna come out... does not have multi. its amazing.

For those of you who cant find it... go to the market, then hit your menu button on the phone (bottom of the phone, 1 of the 4 buttons... its 4 horizontal lines.) then select downloads. this will bring up everything u have downloaded. google maps will be at the top and it will say update availiable next too it. just click it and ur done.

missp64

Reaction score
Unwanted map layers

Anybody know if this is a bug or am i missing something...i can't find a way to get rid of unwanted layers in 'maps'