Google Map issue with SD 7.0?

mccord42

Reaction score
With the current Woodyman Rom (7.0) I am having an issue with apps that use google maps such as wardriver and c:geo. All my mapping apps are force closing as soon as they try to access the map.

I am running the Simple Black theme currently but I was getting the same behavior with the Woodyman theme and the Team DC theme. I have not changed the kernel form what comes with the rom download. I also have tried running both the version of maps that come with the rom (4.2.0) and the most up to date version (4.4.0) and I get the same behavior with both.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Even a verification that I am not the only one with this issue.

stratt

Reaction score
With the current Woodyman Rom (7.0) I am having an issue with apps that use google maps such as wardriver and c:geo. All my mapping apps are force closing as soon as they try to access the map.

I am running the Simple Black theme currently but I was getting the same behavior with the Woodyman theme and the Team DC theme. I have not changed the kernel form what comes with the rom download. I also have tried running both the version of maps that come with the rom (4.2.0) and the most up to date version (4.4.0) and I get the same behavior with both.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Even a verification that I am not the only one with this issue.

I am running Jake's 1ghz kernel on my theme and maps works fine. (should work on all the themes)

woodyman

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.droidconcepts.com

i discovered this issue yesterday, some apps work some dont, its not really the maps not working, its a hard thing to explain, maps work and it will bring up your location in the app, but the app for some reason doesn't want to work..

for example:
yesterday a user in the IRC asked if fouraquare worked so i D/L the app from the market and installed it..
the app opens fine, and everything seems to work
for example i brought up nearby locations with one of the tabs, it brings up places close to me, but when i click that place the app force closes, its not a google map issue, something with 3rd party apps is wrong, which is odd because it works but it doesn't work..

thats the best i can do to explain it.. it works but it doesn't
this is the same reason y weather bug FC i believe..
im sorry for those of you having problems..

OP
M

mccord42

Reaction score
i discovered this issue yesterday, some apps work some dont, its not really the maps not working, its a hard thing to explain, maps work and it will bring up your location in the app, but the app for some reason doesn't want to work..

for example:
yesterday a user in the IRC asked if fouraquare worked so i D/L the app from the market and installed it..
for example i brought up nearby locations with one of the tabs, it brings up places close to me, but when i click that place the app force closes, its not a google map issue, something with 3rd party apps is wrong, which is odd because it works but it doesn't work..

This is definitely the behavior I am talking about. The actual google map program as well as Navigation and Places WORKS. But any other app that accesses the map crashes as soon as I try to pull up the actual map display part of the app. This means that c:geo opens and looks like it will work but crashes as soon as I click on "Live Map" and wardrive crashes as soon as it opens.

I have found that this error is not confined to just your Roms. I tried Insanely Clean New Revolution 1.3 and FRG01B-DEODEXED-Release.zip. It looks like any rom built with FRF84B or later has this issue.

woodyman

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.droidconcepts.com

for example:

This is definitely the behavior I am talking about. The actual google map program as well as Navigation and Places WORKS. But any other app that accesses the map crashes as soon as I try to pull up the actual map display part of the app. This means that c:geo opens and looks like it will work but crashes as soon as I click on "Live Map" and wardrive crashes as soon as it opens.

I have found that this error is not confined to just your Roms. I tried Insanely Clean New Revolution 1.3 and FRG01B-DEODEXED-Release.zip. It looks like any rom built with FRF84B or later has this issue.

Yes that is exactly the issue.. its an issue with the source.. who knows why.. well figure it out soon.. lol

OP
M

mccord42

Reaction score
I just found that ChevyNo1 Simply Stunning v4.5 which is built from FRF91 does not have this issue. I really like your ROM, but I thought that knowing which newer ROMs do and don't have the issue might help you troubleshoot it.

woodyman

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.droidconcepts.com
I just found that ChevyNo1 Simply Stunning v4.5 which is built from FRF91 does not have this issue. I really like your ROM, but I thought that knowing which newer ROMs do and don't have the issue might help you troubleshoot it.

i guess i need to update to the new source..

djakrse

Reaction score
Has anyone had this issue resolve itself or has testing of the updated ROM yielded any hope? My wife has the latest OTA (FRG22?) on her unrooted droid and she's continued to have no issue with weatherbug elite, not to mention she's more "up-to-date" with froyo now ;)

No other complaints from me. I love this rom and patiently/faithfully waiting on SD 7.5/8.0. *sappy*

djakrse

Reaction score
Uh bump?

Seriously though has anyone still using SD7 gotten around this?

How about the team here working on the next version, any similar issues still lingering?

EDIT: investigating a fix

Last edited:

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
We are working on the new version, not sure what it will be called. I'll try out some things to day and let you know. Is there any specific apps you would like me to check out? Let us know.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
We are working on the new version, not sure what it will be called. I'll try out some things to day and let you know. Is there any specific apps you would like me to check out? Let us know.

just to add to this .......the latest test rom has been running like a champ for 2 weeks now without a single FC so things are looking good. Weatherbug is working fine on this release. Dont exactly have an ETA as there are still quite a few changes that need to be made before this can be released.

ill post updates as soon as i get them.

djakrse

Reaction score
Awesome sounds great. I hope the rest of the changes go smoothly!

tkaaf

Reaction score
the movies app wont work at all on my phone. i'm running the black theme. and my google maps wont update. keeps saying update unsuccessful