google map help - multiple entries

Discussion in 'Android Applications' started by segen77, Mar 21, 2010.

1. segen77

segen77 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I need to be able to have multiple entries in my navigation. What's the easiest way to accomplish this? The best way I have found so far is to have a separate shortcut on my desktop for each destination, but it's still a pain that way.

Any help or ideas are appreciated.

2. jsh1120

jsh1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish. If it's simply that you don't want to take up screen real estate with multiple shortcuts, you might try "Nav Launcher" from the Market. It allows you to save multiple destinations are "favorites" accessible from a single "Nav Launcher" icon.

3. GeLopez

GeLopez Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Or use layers

4. bennyj

bennyj Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Segen77 are you asking if you can enter more than one address into google maps, and then navigate to multiple points in a route? I have been wondering this my self. I would love to be able to enter multiple address, then follow the route. I have not found a way to do this. I hope google adds this ability in soon.

5. segen77

segen77 Member

Ratings:
    +0

Yup, this is what I was asking, just didn't say it quite right.

It sounds like nav launcher may help a little, so I'll look into that. I'm not too sure how layers will help. Maybe I'm just not seeing something on there though.

6. bennyj

bennyj Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You could achieve this with layers, but it would be a big pain in the @ss! I like you, just want to enter more than one address right from the maps app and then press navigate, and it starts with the first stop and works it way to the next as each destination is reached. What the others are describing would work, but if you are constantly changing routes, this would be cumbersome.

We can just hope that google adds in this feature in the near future along with other settings that allow us to avoid tolls and carpools.

7. pjo1966

pjo1966 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    As a Realtor, I've been looking for a solution for this as well. My current workaround is to put all the addresses in a map and save it in My Maps, then pull that map up in Layers. That way I have all the addresses in one map. It would be nice if I could choose my current location as a start point, select an end point, and have it calculate the best route to hit all the properties.

8. bennyj

bennyj Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I do this as well for the vendors that I frequent and their address does not change, using My Maps. Works well for this situation. I do however drive commercial vehicle with multiple stops that change daily to places I have never been. It would be nice to be able to enter my first stop and then enter the following multiple stops and have it route me without having to enter each stop manually after each stop is reached.

9. segen77

segen77 Member

Ratings:
    +0

I didn't even know about this option. It seems to work well. It's not quite as smooth as I'd like, but it's acceptable until a better option shows up.

10. pjo1966

pjo1966 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It wasn't even available to me before the latest Maps update. My primary account is a Google Apps account with my own domain. My maps doesn't work with those accounts. Now I can switch to a gmail account.

It's not a perfect solution, but it gets the job done.

11. SGTiger

SGTiger Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you don't already know, you can add locations to your starred items located at Menu>More>Starred Items.

12. jsh1120

jsh1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    It appears that some folks are looking for what amounts to a "delivery route" calculator such as might be used by a UPS driver who has a set of deliveries to make and wants an app that takes the various destinations as input and calculates the optimal route with waypoints set automatically for each address.

Sorry, folks, that sort of specialized GPS app is not available either with Google maps or with the somewhat crippled version on your Droid. If you consider the complexity of doing the calculations, you can understand why companies purchase such applications for more than a few bucks.

As others have noted, however, you may use Google maps to create your own "delivery route" in "My Maps." Of course, you have to do the work that a true delivery route application does.

13. bennyj

bennyj Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I would have to say that the droid has more processing power than the Garmin nuvi which will do this. I would also think that googles servers would be the ones to process this. However, I think it will eventually get here.

14. kevinjones

kevinjones New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just input the addresses in my Google Calendar from my computer, select the appt, click on the appt, then the address, maps, address pane, then navigate (right turn arrow)

Seems like a lot of work but really isn't.

Anything easier?

15. caesah

caesah New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    sorry to bump this, but has anyone found a good solution yet? I think jsh1120 misinterpreted what we're looking for. Simply put, I want the Google Maps on the Droid to function like the Google Maps on the PC.

I put in multiple destinations, then MANUALLY rearrange them in an order that makes sense, then get on my merry way. It doesn't seem all that complicated to me. If it's available on the PC, where is it in the App?

Search tags for this page
android google maps multiple destinations
android google maps multiple stops
android maps multiple destinations
android navigation app multiple destinations
google maps android multiple destinations
maps app multiple pts android
multi stop navigation
multi-point navigation android
multiple address navigation app

multiple destinations google maps android