google listen or doggcatcher

digerati

Reaction score
Hey everyone, my droid is set to arrive tomorrow and i was wondering which podcast application i should download. I am looking for one that will let me choose how many episodes to keep, let me check for and automatically download the latest episode for all of my podcasts at the same time, and remember my position in multiple episodes.

LordKastle

Reaction score
I'd go with Doggcatcher [never used it] or another app over Google Listen. Seems like Google wants to re-create and copy every *essential* program/application that exists once they realize they haven't made it yet. [Goggles, Finance, and Listen are just the latest. I do not want my Android phone to turn in to a Google phone.]

Last edited:

JayMonster

Reaction score
I haven't tried DoggCatcher, but from the reviews certainly sounds like a solid choice. Google Listen is a love it or hate it experience, and you are limited to audio only podcasts. I am currently stuck between Listen (because I like the minimalist approach) and aCast, which has a slightly clunky interface, but is solid with all the features you would want and also supports video podcasts.

OP
digerati

digerati

Reaction score
I should have mentioned that i will only use it for audio podcasts.

tbever

Reaction score
I should have mentioned that i will only use it for audio podcasts.

I have used doggcatcher extensively. It works great for audio and video podcasts. I mostly listen to audio podcasts but from time to time I also look at video podcasts (ie Tekzilla). It has a lot of options that give a great deal of control over when and how you download etc ie only over wifi and with power on so the battery is not drained. It works well with BT headphones also. Thumbs up.

MJ5150

Reaction score
I went with Listen after trying Mediafly. Listen is easy to use and not flashy.

I like the idea of using the apps Google creates since they created the OS anyways.

-Mike

Last edited:

JayMonster

Reaction score
I like Listen, but it is buggier than an app I can comfortably recommend outright. If you can live with its *quirks* and the fact that it is a little slow adding podcasts (in some cases by several hours) then it is OK.

OP
digerati

digerati

Reaction score
I have a little update. I used google listen for a few days and it worked ok, but it was having problems downloading the latest episodes of my podcasts. I then tried doggcathcer and I can say it is well worth the investment. It has a ton of settings and it was able to download the latest episodes, i can also used my headset to pause my podcasts, and it has a widget!