1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Google launches official Licensing Service for Android apps, Developers rejoice

Discussion in 'Android News' started by wuyanks, Jul 27, 2010.

1. wuyanks

wuyanks DF News Team Premium Member

[​IMG]

There's no denying it: piracy on the Android platform is rampant. And there really is little developers can do to protect their applications. Well, developers, your woes should be subsided somewhat, as today, Google launched an official licensing service for applications. By simply inputting code provided by Google, you will give your application the ability to check with Google servers in real-time, and see if the user actually purchased the app. If not, the user will be denied access to the application. For you workflow geeks, check out the diagram here:

[​IMG]

Eric Chu, Android ecosystem developer, explains how it works:
    Now, we are unsure how an application will be validated to run if the user is not connected to the Internet. But all in all, this should let developers rest a bit easier. Check out the source link to see how you can take advantage of the new licensing service now.

source: Android Developer's Blog
    Graphic courtesy of SpreadShirt
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  2. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

What if you do what I do also, I buy an app, take the APK and theme the graphics how I want then resign it and install it... I mean, I am doing nothing illegal because I bought it. Will this method be affected at all by this?
  3. infinity8x3

infinity8x3 New Member

Great we take another blow thanks to the pirates. So long plying games in airplane mode to save battery.

Good bye my thoughts of keeping my droid after upgrading to a new phone. I wont keep the droid activated.

Hello DRM the bane of pc gaming.

I don't pirate but I know how good hackers are and I really hope they can by pass this, not for them but for us honest joe's that are getting stiffed again.
  4. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

Sounds like it is a one-time validation every time you boot or install.

My guess is the old apk's continue to work as before, so long as you avoid updating which would include the new validation model. But when you wipe data and flash a rom, it's going to automatically install the latest apk from market.
  5. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

Nevermind...says run time, so I guess every time you run the app. Yeah, what happens when you are actually ON an airplane and want to play a game or use some apps you downloaded/stored data for offline use?
  6. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

I woudl like to know also, however I know like 99% that apps will work if on airplane or something. Otherwise android would REALLY be hurting itself...
  7. azazin

azazin New Member

Gameloft already implement a similar anti-piracy method to this, basically when you install a cracked app whlist on non-aeroplane mode it simply won't work because they check that you don't have the license.
  8. qoncept

qoncept New Member

Google absolutely has to make a provision for that. They aren't idiots. The way I imagine is it pings the authentication server, and if it can't get a response it lets you run the app.

So I'd imagine a rooted phone with a firewall or modified hosts file can easily "disable" authentication.
  9. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator Premium Member

so yesterday, the dev's cringed, today they rejoice

what an emotional roller coaster!
  10. wuyanks

wuyanks DF News Team Premium Member

haha, figuring out titles is the toughest part!
  11. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Oh boy, this gonna really suck if the apps must query "at run time". In the quote, the official explanation uses the words "developers can" in describing the process. perhaps indicating an option for dev's. I do not pirate apps, but live, work and play in about a 50/50 3g no 3g area. This could be bad for me, and folks like me. Not gonna get worked up about it, but will keep an eye towards the changes. This potentially goes way beyond folks wanting to do "stuff" while on an airplane.

Craig
  12. infinity8x3

infinity8x3 New Member

I know right. I will continue to support all dev's who won't choose to use this kind of DRM, and will personally boycott all dev's that will.

I understand there right to not have there work stolen, but C'mon this is over kill for phone app's.

Hopefully it is not a bandwagon most dev's will jump on, or we will be able to combat against it with custom rom's.
  13. TuBitMittens

TuBitMittens Member

I am guilty as charged...
  14. TuBitMittens

TuBitMittens Member

I hope soon android will use the method that apple uses when buying apps, where you can pay it off later cuz I don't have a credit card. lol that way I can easily pay my father back and not have to bother him each time I wanna by an app. yes, I'm an 18 year old kid with no job, go ahead laugh.:icon_ banana:
  15. synic

synic New Member

If I understand this right, and I'm almost 99% sure I do, is that:

It's completely up to the app developer to decide what happens when there is no internet connection, how often it checks for a valid license, and what happens when the check fails.

The developer of the app itself is the one that has to implement this system that connects to the Google servers to check for a valid license. This means that they can make it check whenever they want.. after you first install, or every 5 minutes, or once a week.

This system leaves the options pretty wide open.
  16. tiggerxplur

tiggerxplur New Member

im right there with you arizona sucks cant find any job here

that being said i have no phone plan anymore so im in airplane all the time with my wifi connected and if my paid apps get updated and i cant use them i will be mad

not gonna lie i have pirated some apps before but i normally dont keep an app on my phone for more than a few hours cause alot of them i have no need for so i see if i like it or not then by it for updates its easier for me with no money to test an app then wait two weeks to get my dollar back and get another
  17. carpecervisi

carpecervisi New Member

As a rampant pirate and warez leecher, I officially come out agaist this idea.
  18. Lemurion

Lemurion New Member

Consistency is a wonderful thing. :)
  19. JimmyD

JimmyD New Member

Yes, a "pay later" option is coming. Eventually, you will be able to purchase an app through the Market and have it billed to your Verizon account. In other words, the app purchase will show up on your monthly phone bill.

I found this news out here >>> Get Ready to Charge Android App Purchases to Your Carrier | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

:) So there you go... you won't have to ask for permission to buy an app anymore... (you'll only have to ask for forgiveness because you've already bought the app!) :icon_ goofy:
Search tags for this page

android using licensing service for free applications

how to pass gameloft license