Google Lattitude

stravis

Reaction score
With one of the recent Google Maps updates, it automatically installed Latitude. I saw it in my apps drawer and clicked on it to see what it was. It asked for my Google account and I filled it in. After messing with it and figuring out what it was, I turned on the Hide your location option and turned it off. I get an email today saying that I've been sharing my location. I get home and again open up latitude and hide my location. I immediately open it back up and it's showing my location.

I have no use for this app. I don't want it but if I uninstall it, it uninstalls the Maps update as well. There is no option in the app to log out of my google account. I can't get it to turn off my location. I even went to my google account settings on my computer and it doesn't give me the option to delete my Latitude account.

How do I get out of this? I don't want it. I can't uninstall it and can't even log out. I can't turn off the share location setting. This is ridiculous.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

OP
S

stravis

Reaction score
I wish I could. I hide the location and it immediately goes back to share location. I can find no option to log out and I can't uninstall.

scoder

Reaction score
Go to settings, applications, manage apps. Find Latitude. If thats not there, choose maps. Choose Force Stop, then Clear Data and Restore Defaults. That should log you out.

tehpriest

Reaction score
You can log out. In Latitude go to menu, privacy, turn off Latitude.

I haven't figured out what it is for yet???

Last edited:
OP
S

stravis

Reaction score
Go to settings, applications, manage apps. Find Latitude. If thats not there, choose maps. Choose Force Stop, then Clear Data and Restore Defaults. That should log you out.

I do all that except for the restore defaults because it is greyed out. I then open Latitude and it says "Joining Latitude" then pulls up my location. I go to privacy settings and it has set itself on "detect location" again. I set it to "hide location" and click "turn off latitude".

I did all that yesterday and today I get an email telling me I am broadcasting my location. If I go back into Latitude, the settings are back to "Detect location".

Mateles

Reaction score
...if I uninstall it, it uninstalls the Maps update as well...
Did you actually try uninstalling / reinstalling Maps (vs. just knowing it would uninstall and didn't try it)? I don't have any advice other than that. I like Latitude since I have other friends using it. It only shares your location with people you allow, but I agree that you should be able to disable it if you want.

OP
S

stravis

Reaction score
...if I uninstall it, it uninstalls the Maps update as well...
Did you actually try uninstalling / reinstalling Maps (vs. just knowing it would uninstall and didn't try it)? I don't have any advice other than that. I like Latitude since I have other friends using it. It only shares your location with people you allow, but I agree that you should be able to disable it if you want.

I did uninstall. It just logs back in automatically once I update again.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

its.mike

Reaction score
When viewing latitude it will always show you your location. Turning on the hide me feature you are not allowing others to view your location.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

tehpriest

Reaction score
To clarify. As soon as you open Latitude it will log you back on. Once open you can hide yourself or log off BUT as soon as you close the app and open it again it logs you back on. So if you hide and then log off while the app is open and then close it you are hidden and no one can see you. Try finding the location of your phone after you have done this but remember as soon as you open the app again it will log you on.

h_baden

Reaction score
I went to Settings->ManageApplications->Maps.
I did an "Uninstall Updates".
It got me back to the factory installed version, without Latitude.
(Also, turned off AutomaticUpdate in Market).

sarreq

Reaction score
latitude had been part of maps for over a year now, but the separate icon had only been there since the last 2 updates. just make sure you're logged out of it.

MrTommy

Reaction score
Can you get longitude and latitude using Lattitude?

I lost my Moto Droid I last year off the fender of my ATV while cruising around in southern Nevada. Nevermind how it got on my fender, problem was that I forgot it was there and took off. An hour later we (wifey and I) stopped to take some pictures. GASP! MY Droid was gone!

We retraced our ride as best we could (using handlebar mounted GPS's) and could not find it. So, I called Verizon with wifey's phone and asked if they could give me the coordinates of my lost phone. "We don't have that capabillity" she says. I ask her how the cops manage to track people down. She says Verizon doesn't have the capibiltiy that cops have. Huh? Don't the cops have to call Verizon?

Anyway, she is of NO help. After another hour of retracing our route(s), wifey spots it sitting in a small clump of sagebrush on the side of the road. Whew!

MY current question is, would I have been able to find my phone if we'd been using "Lattitude"? I don't see anywhere in this app that actually shows coordinates to locate a phone (or person). Just maps. And believe me, maps are useless when looking for 'down phone', laying in the sagebrush. :question: