OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I'm still shocked that there isn't some sort of basic native themer baked in to ui's. And at the very minimum, a dark, slate, holo and alternative colorful ui
+200

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
I guess I'm in the minority here. I repair computers for a living now and everyone I've talked to hates Win 8 because of its flat pastel lifeless interface. Now it is copied by everyone else. Microsoft must love that. It makes them current with their 1970's look. I also don't really get the new watches everyone is developing. I'm old so I wear a watch - people know you are old if you have one (young people always ask me for the time so they don't have to dig out their phones). This trend would be Killer 20 years ago - now we are supplying watches to people who don't use them...

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm still shocked that there isn't some sort of basic native themer baked in to ui's. And at the very minimum, a dark, slate, holo and alternative colorful ui

Where is the thumbs down button?

J/k, I agree it is about time stock android have a basic theme engine where you can at least change to the basic dark, light, or colorful theme. It is long overdue especially since sense ui had one since the thunderbolt days (actually before that). And customers have been all but screaming for that feature since the droid days. Though changing themes no longer require root it should be native. But I guess it may be Google trying to eliminate any fat only adding what is needed and allowing developers to offer more for those who want more.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

1coopgt

Reaction score

+10000000 Let the people decide . I personally don't want everything white. Nothing like killing the phones battery and my eyes .

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score

Indeed. I think HTC incorporates something along those lines in Sense 6, as does LG on the G2/3, but there-in lies the problem: most of the devices we get are skinned by the manufacturers. It's possible that they would override the theming ability put into native Android with their skins anyway. Would be nice to adjust basic menus, drop downs, texting colors/bubbles, and so on without a lot of issue. It is something that should be at the core of Android, and I'm sure it could be done without causing problems for day-to-day quality of life the phones/tablets offer.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well we all know that the only devices that will see that flat look will be nexus devices, gpe devices, and Motorola as Samsung, LG, and HTC will put their skin on it any way .

Messing with it for the time I had it I have to say the look may have been conservative but it seemed to complement the direction Google is going. I felt like everything just worked and it went from play to business. The flat look seems to take the approach of "we not trying to stand out but stand back I no longer need to flash something to get you to look at me as we now have you here so let me show you what I can do". And when you play with it you come away feeling like the software have matured from geek oriented to business oriented. But again that was my personal take.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2