Google keyboard gets a much needed update and I like it.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My favorite feature they added today is the gesture to turn the space bar into an arrow like key for skipping left or right. Fantastic for quick fix after a proof read. Now all they need is a copy/paste gesture and I'll be able to stick with this one full time.
I think they moved the * to the first symbols keyboard in this update. I'm with Mustang in that it wasn't there but was on the second choice symbol keyboard before but since secondary keys are a must have for me I didn't really mind it since it was already on the z for a choice. I'd like to have the / key as a secondary choice like with Swype but it's easy to get to by holding the . key.
650efac21bffddff3d5498ac47c9dba7.jpg

Here's today's release notes if anyone is interested.
f1066c6a9e15d5cddbfe10d14818236b.jpg

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I like the long press to remove words. I can also type on this keyboard version. Something about the last had me doing strange words.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I like the long press to remove words. I can also type on this keyboard version. Something about the last had me doing strange words.
Have you figured out how to add words to the dictionary?

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I thought it was automatic. If you type a word not in the dictionary and keep it, it's added. Example; look what seems to have been added to mine:

ec826fb3b46e23f16a4730503d6a12d9.jpg

Sent from Turbo II
I'll be. I typed beastmode then went back and slid the letters and voila beastmode showed up. It's not in my personal dictionary
606baf3d4ac632e207a52d5117e30c52.jpg
so I didn't think to try sliding it.
Yeah I could really get used to this one and might be able to enable correct auto insert instead of doing it manually. Thanks

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I'd love to see where we can add from screen.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd love to see where we can add from screen.
Same here but my reasoning is a tin hat one. Sync my added stuff to Google? Didn't people used to get upset over things being sent to servers on their own? With Swype you can also turn on/off syncing of the dictionary to servers for syncing between devices. After seeing Terminator Genisys I got even more paranoid about Google .

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
You can turn off synching:
(More screenshots?!? Why not!?)

172b5fd341b04c3c7b6bf9534e1bf896.jpg

Google has made it no secret that it reads what you type to "improve things".
But it supposedly anonymizes it.

Sent from Turbo II

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
These corrections are probably kept locally in your cache. Unless you turn that on....

Sent from Turbo II

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Same here but my reasoning is a tin hat one. Sync my added stuff to Google? Didn't people used to get upset over things being sent to servers on their own? With Swype you can also turn on/off syncing of the dictionary to servers for syncing between devices. After seeing Terminator Genisys I got even more paranoid about Google .

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><
They get more from my search and Gmail. I'm sure everything I type is archive so oh well.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I may have to try Google Keyboard. I hate Samsung's. After using it for months, it still is ridiculously inaccurate. The only thing I like about it is having the numbers on top.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
+1. In just the few short weeks I've had the S7 I've had to correct more of the horrible misinterpretations it creates than I think I've had to correct in my Turbo in total over the past 6 months. I'm using Swype on both.

The S7 is often so far off base the words are completely obscure and not even remotely related to, or similarly spelled as the intended weird.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
+1. In just the few short weeks I've had the S7 I've had to correct more of the horrible misinterpretations it creates than I think I've had to correct in my Turbo in total over the past 6 months. I'm using Swype on both.

The S7 is often so far off base the words are completely obscure and not even remotely related to, or similarly spelled as the intended weird.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Like RC cats?