Google keyboard gets a much needed update and I like it.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Google search symbol right on my keyboard. Cool! Update seems good, so far.

778b005324823916e3b10959bdf3b7da.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
I have it turned off on mine. The little arrow then tap the magnifying glass does the same thing with just 1 more step than having the Google thingy. Plus it gives me a faster method to get to keyboard settings while I tweak it to my liking.
The dedicated number row is taking a bit of getting used to for me after forever using secondary keys instead.
88e6c4aadf5edb1f8a04a30942a44249.jpg

13093843dacd1d577e6a286b659d00d4.jpg

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Looks like I will have to try Google keyboard again.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Themes finally. About time.
bf34d455a0bb6f73585582de956a8327.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Didn't know that was new. I've had that for a while but had stopped using it because of bugs in the last beta update (apk found in the wild) .
I'm gonna have to keep an eye on my battery monitor for a few days again as Gboard is creeping up in the top users like before and it started acting wonky. If it sticks to the 1%it is now the extra battery will be worth it for the slide improvement . It's more accurate at predicting my desired words than Swype at this time.
I've already found a work around (thanks to Marshmallow) for the copy/paste gesture ability of Swype by copy text as usual, long press the area to input text and I get paste, select all or clipboard options, with or without the s-pen.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

Last edited:

jasnooks

Reaction score
My only complaint is that i still can't get it to automatically capitalize the letter i in the middle of a sentence while swiping. At the beginning of a sentence it works fine.
I've been having this problem for quite a long time. Anybody else?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
My only complaint is that i still can't get it to automatically capitalize the letter i in the middle of a sentence while swiping. At the beginning of a sentence it works fine.
I've been having this problem for quite a long time. Anybody else?

Swiping multiple words at the same time? I tend to swipe each word individually and just tap the I, which gives me a capital I most of the time.

jasnooks

Reaction score
Swiping multiple words at the same time? I tend to swipe each word individually and just tap the I, which gives me a capital I most of the time.
I swipe one word at time, and tap the i, just like you do. I've always done it this way, because the multiple word way doesn't work well for me.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I swipe one word at time, and tap the i, just like you do. I've always done it this way, because the multiple word way doesn't work well for me.
Let's see, I'll try it if I can get it to work I will let you know I'm doing and then I just tap that I button & it works.

Works for me. Maybe your settings are different than mine?

c2f35b448ed9c076afbe355ac9a18344.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

jasnooks

Reaction score
Let's see, I'll try it if I can get it to work I will let you know I'm doing and then I just tap that I button & it works.

Works for me. Maybe your settings are different than mine?

c2f35b448ed9c076afbe355ac9a18344.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
My settings are pretty much the same, except I had auto correction turned off. Turned it on, and it now works. I could have swore that I tried that before. I think I had it turned off because it was causing problems in the past. I'll leave it on for a while, and see if it causes any issues.
I I I I I like this, lol

Thank you for the help

martinsmith

Reaction score
Website
www.wenso.co.uk
Current Phone Model
Lenovo
Twitter
Wenso_Smith
Google keyboard gets huge update to 5.0 version with optional key borders,New gestures, and more APK download.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Last couple of days my phone has been acting like there's water on the screen . You know when ghost taps start happening or it doesn't respond to touches. It's only been in the keyboard area. Today it was refusing to accept any touches, with finger or s-pen. Out of desire to see if it's my phone or Gboard I switched to Swype. Works fine. Switch back to Gboard, it's dead.
Just when I had truly acclimated to the new keyboard it's dead. Bummer.
Edit; Force stopped in application manager and cleared cache and it's working again with finger and/or s-pen.
One area Swype still blows away this one is words with characters or numbers in them. Words such as s-pen, AT&T, etc Swype remembers and inserts when I slide but Gboard does not. I still have to manually type them out.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

Last edited: