Google is Supposedly Planning to Co-Develop its Own Processor for Android [Rumor]

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Nov 6, 2015.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    [​IMG]

This morning has a strangely intriguing bit of rumint. According to the latest hot gossip, Google has been having talks with various microchip manufacturers to hammer out a deal to co-develop their own chip for future Android devices. The obvious conclusion from this rumor (if true) is that Google wants to have their own hardware so they can ensure that future iterations of Android works more smoothly across multiple devices.

This is basically the same approach that Apple takes with their iPhone and iPad products. It's not a bad idea and could help reduce the "fractured" Android landscape a tad. Of course, the biggest reason for the fracturing is that many OEMs take time to put their own "spin" on the Android UI. Still, if Google can ensure a more stable hardware architecture for future Android products, it could also mean they are planning on upping their game with fancy new features we haven't even thought of yet.

If this proves to be true, what do you think of this move from Google?

Source: The Information

2. Narsil

Narsil Silver Member

Ratings:
    +299
    I really miss ye olde days of yore (aka 2009) when Google actually stood for open source and freedom.

3. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +8,391
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    Idk. As much as I hate to see them go the full apple route, there's something to be said for them making hardware that perfectly suits their software.

I could be wrong, but I see Google going more the Microsoft route. Like the Surface & other Microsoft branded devices, Google could simply offer another choice in the market.

Look at the Nexus line. Personal opinions aside, Google works super closely with the oems on those devices & it shows.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

4. hammerhead13

hammerhead13 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +555
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Z Force Droid
    I would make it like a Melting pot of the various Tech Features available from the Top Chips.

• Like Like x 1