Google is Dumping My Tracks App; Will Cease Functioning April 30th

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
google-mytracks-deprecated.png

For the few folks who are fans of the My Tracks app from Google, April 30th will be a disappointing day. Apparently Google is killing off the app and service and will shut it down on that date. For folks who don't know what it is, My Tracks is a GPS tracking app. It's designed for hikers, runners and anyone active in the outdoors. The app can track your speed, elevation, distance travelled and location, so that you can save it for use in other apps (like Facebook) later.

To be honest, we haven't tried it here at HQ. Sound off and let us know if you have used My Tracks, and let us know what you think of Google's decision to dump it.

Source: Google Support

R

RETG

I have used it extensively. Might be time to jump to another phone. Getting tired of Google closing out apps that they have had for years. Did away with the chrome extension, now this. What's next?
And I have not found another app that works as good as Mytracks.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
It was not a necessary app for Google since there are several free apps that provide the same thing in the Play store.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Never even tried it. I was under the impression that it did something else, like tracked your movements around town/etc. in Google Maps. Had no idea it was a fitness app.

I prefer Google Fit and I would assume they're throwing more at that while getting rid of My Tracks.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I've used it but prefer runkeeper over it.

tommyz

Reaction score
I used it many years ago... I stopped using it since there are much batter apps out now. Really no need for MyTracks anymore, outdated.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
For about a solid 6 months in 2014 I used My Tracks and liked it. I used to go hiking quite a bit before work picked up, but it was a really cool app with all the info it gave. Unfortunately, I lost alot of free time due to work and trails around here are closed off after sunset.

I'm sure there are better apps out now and there probably were at the time, but it was already more information than I needed and it came from a trusted source.

shark86x

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I used it many years ago... I stopped using it since there are much batter apps out now. Really no need for MyTracks anymore, outdated.

Could you name some better apps please? I searched the play store and all I found were running and fitness apps. I will need a replacement that tracks car trips and boating. I did find a couple apps that had some similar functions but I'm not needing a hud or speedometer app that don't have all the functions that my tracks had. Moving time and speed vs total time and speed, elevation, max/min grades, total elevation change, track display on maps, total distance, lat/long, export to gpx/kml, etc. All in a clear easy to read display.

I am very displeased with this decision by google-.

Valvoline

Reaction score
used it a few times for motorcycle rides as mentioned above, problem for me was that you could not export it into navigation and follow a previously recorded ride. Looking down at a phone constantly to see where you're going while on a motorcycle is not the safest thing to do. It never developed to its full potential for me.