Google Inbox 6 month review

Rate the app 5 being the highest 1 being the lowest

• 5 stars (love it and use it all the time)

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • 4 stars (good app and use it often)

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • 3 stars (seldom use the app)

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • 2 stars (not my cup of tea, I prefer other email clients

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • 1 star (this app has issues, I uninstalled it and would not recommend it to anyone)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I got an email this morning from Dropbox that if I'll install and set up their Mailbox app they'll give me another GB of storage for life.
It's very much like Inbox so far

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Noteate
I got an email from Microsoft that I could get 100GB of OneDrive storage free for 2 years if I sign up for Bing rewards. I deleted it.

Since I subscribed to Office 365, I have 1TB for up to 5 users. Even if I didn't, I had enough storage to last me plenty long with them anyway.

To keep on topic, still can't beat gmail for my wants and needs for an email client. Only thing I wish was that it would use the group I setup so I could forward emails to the entire board for my community theater group. No way to add them all at the same time and I'd have to be sure to remember their names to add them individually, but the stock email app lets me use the contact group I made.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I got an email from Microsoft that I could get 100GB of OneDrive storage free for 2 years if I sign up for Bing rewards. I deleted it.

Since I subscribed to Office 365, I have 1TB for up to 5 users. Even if I didn't, I had enough storage to last me plenty long with them anyway.

To keep on topic, still can't beat gmail for my wants and needs for an email client. Only thing I wish was that it would use the group I setup so I could forward emails to the entire board for my community theater group. No way to add them all at the same time and I'd have to be sure to remember their names to add them individually, but the stock email app lets me use the contact group I made.
Yeah I just moved slightly away because if Google ends up killing off Inbox, those that like it will have a good alternative.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Noteate

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Correct me if I'm wrong, because, like I said, I haven't used it in the last 5.5 months or so, but hasn't development kinda seemed to stall on it? No new features/major improvements for a while?

I think they'd be silly to kill it off as long as it continues functioning as promised, but I had hoped they'd do a bit more innovating with it than the original launch, even if that was all backend stuff that sorted emails better. Still wouldn't make me want to use it any more, but would be good.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I could use another gig in Dropbox. Where's my email dropbox????

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, because, like I said, I haven't used it in the last 5.5 months or so, but hasn't development kinda seemed to stall on it? No new features/major improvements for a while?

I think they'd be silly to kill it off as long as it continues functioning as promised, but I had hoped they'd do a bit more innovating with it than the original launch, even if that was all backend stuff that sorted emails better. Still wouldn't make me want to use it any more, but would be good.
As you can see here its popularity has peaked and fallen, if this thread is any indication. I was hoping they'd add a few more conveniences such as swiping but it didn't come to pass yet.
Let me rephrase the above. Instead of dumping it they decide to reduce it to just something that shows up on your desktop when you click "even more". With as many convenient features as they added to Gmail last year I'm disappointed they seemed to have forgotten about Inbox I that regard. I got 1 update right after I installed it, bug fixes, and nothing since while Gmail got practically a rewrite I the same year.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I think inbox will be another project that Google will kill off eventually. Tried it, didn't see the point of it, uninstalled it.

marthinollys

Reaction score
There was a reddit thread some weeks ago where the developers discussed plans (new features, etc.) for the app. I don't think it's going anywhere.
As for me, I've disabled gmail and use inbox. It's quite different and it's taken time to get used to as one might expect. It works very well as a sort of task oriented email app. For instance, a reminder in inbox shows up in my calendar and in Google Now. I also use the snooze function frequently.

I'm not at all saying one is better than the other. Gmail is simple and straightforward.

Note 4

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
I think for some people that use solely one email account it would better organize their email for then. I see the intended purpose. I have literally dozens of email accounts. Most of them are forwarded to one account and filtered.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think for some people that use solely one email account it would better organize their email for then. I see the intended purpose. I have literally dozens of email accounts. Most of them are forwarded to one account and filtered.
I am too spoiled by swipe to delete in Gmail, found Inbox had too many steps to get to delete then delete. It was like being on ios again.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
That's the point. They want you to archive your email, not delete it.

I get your point though.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I am too spoiled by swipe to delete in Gmail, found Inbox had too many steps to get to delete then delete. It was like being on ios again.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4
Same here. If I'm done with an email, I delete. I'll archive stuff like purchase receipts for some things, but even those are usually tied to an account & not necessary to keep.

At work, there's an advantage to saving & organizing emails, but I have very few that I keep in my personal account & I just leave the most important of those in the inbox.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Inbox was cool if you set up filters to organize your mail. Otherwise it seemed like a train wreck to me. I tried to like it and it was not that it was a bad application it's just that I am stuck in my ways and like my good ole Gmail.

blacksoxing

Reaction score
All I need is the ability to do a "mark as read" within the gmail app instead of that achieve/delete

In regards to inbox....Google hasn't given me a reason to remember to use it