Google Handwrite Brings Back Old School Writing

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
[video=youtube;uyeJXKfAcpc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyeJXKfAcpc&feature=player_embedded[/video]​

Do you remember that long lost skill called writing that you learned back in Elementary School? Well it's back with Google's newest innovation called Handwriting. Forget bringing up your keyboard to do a search on Google's search page, now you can just write anywhere on your screen with your finger and it will be automatically entered into the search box.

To activate the feature, you'll need to go to Google.com in your mobile browser and enable the Handwrite option in settings. After you save it and back out, a Handwrite icon appears in the bottom right corner of the screen; tap it and it activates the writing surface. Place your finger anywhere on the screen and begin to write. Your beautiful handwriting appears on the screen and gets translated to standard letters that appear in the search field. Autosuggest will be cued up to make the search even faster. Check out the video of Handwrite in action. Enjoy!

Source: CNet

silverfang77

Reaction score
Pretty cool, if a bit impractical on a small screen. I'd love to see something like this for the desktop browser.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
This would probably be more useful on tablets.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Very nice. :biggrin: Takes me back to the Palm OS with its Graffiti writing (which I got pretty good at and liked), but without learning the unique aspects of Graffiti.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Time for Apple to file for a patent.

ROFLOL, Yeah, a patent on block letter writing with the finger...dude - you made me choke!! :biggrin:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pretty cool, if a bit impractical on a small screen. I'd love to see something like this for the desktop browser.

Well, yes and no. Certainly you would have difficulty searching for a long phrase or a highly technical description with that method, but the video shows how with just a few letters, even partial words, it can search and be fairly accurate with the results for the simpler searches. Pizza D (delivery) was a good one, and so was cupc (cupcakes). Ski Lessons had me laughing, but of course that was a tablet.

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Too cool just checked it out

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
It works fabulously on even a small screen. You can write one letter on top of the other if you give it a half-second to recognize each letter. I would certainly never type on my screen as I drove down the road with my Thunderdolt in the dashdock...but if I did, this would make it so much easier...

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Am I missing something here? How is this a "Google" invention? My old HTC Touch(Verizon XV6900) did this as well...just not on Googles page...but in texts and email...

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Am I missing something here? How is this a "Google" invention? My old HTC Touch(Verizon XV6900) did this as well...just not on Googles page...but in texts and email...

Yea I mean my palm TX used to do this some 4 or 5 years ago but still cool to see it come back although I most likely won't use it I'm much quicker with swift key

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
They used a iPhone and iPad in the video. I'm sure Apple will be mad at that..

But either way, it's pretty damn cool. Another reason why I love Google :) They are always expanding and adding something new

penman711

Reaction score
laggy

I found it to be laggy on my Prime and more distracting. Quicker for me to use swype.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
Talk about going back in time. Why would you want to write something out if you can just type it? Isn't that the whole reason typewriters were invented? C'mon Google. Give us something innovative. Apple can have this for all I care.