google goggles without flash?

hyperlite456

Reaction score
is there any way to turn the flash off?

edit: The reason I ask is because every time I take a picture of my computer monitor or something with reflection, the flash gets in the way.

Last edited:

techguru

Reaction score
is there any way to turn the flash off?

edit: The reason I ask is because every time I take a picture of my computer monitor or something with reflection, the flash gets in the way.

Hmm. First version never used the flash, so we all complained to Google that it needed to use it, now we find a problem that it isn't configurable. It is a Beta app, so if you mention the issue on the Google support board, they'll take note of it and hopefully fix it. Ideal solution of course is to make it user controllable. I could see other times I would not like the flash, like if I am in a store using it to look up info from a bar code. Store owners may not take kindly to it....

Alan

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not sure why you'd be taking a picture of your computer monitor.... you're already so close to "Google"... why wouldn't you search from there? (Just asking... not trying to be a do*che)

OP
H

hyperlite456

Reaction score
Not sure why you'd be taking a picture of your computer monitor.... you're already so close to "Google"... why wouldn't you search from there? (Just asking... not trying to be a do*che)

well you can scan the android barcodes (whatever they're called) that everyone posts online using google goggles. It's a quick way to find apps or downloads on your droid. plus, there are other surfaces that i'm sure will reflect too much light.

OP
H

hyperlite456

Reaction score
Hmm. First version never used the flash, so we all complained to Google that it needed to use it, now we find a problem that it isn't configurable. It is a Beta app, so if you mention the issue on the Google support board, they'll take note of it and hopefully fix it. Ideal solution of course is to make it user controllable. I could see other times I would not like the flash, like if I am in a store using it to look up info from a bar code. Store owners may not take kindly to it....

Alan

Yeah this is very true also. I tried finding an answer on the website, then sent a recommendation, so we'll see.

Lafond

Reaction score
Yea it has an issue scanning business cards close up with the flash. Washes out the text. Definately nice in some circumstances though. I'd much rather have the option.