Google Glass Pre-Orders now Available to I/O Developers

Edognights

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;uh-liQDE3cM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=uh-liQDE3cM#t=1s[/video]

Google announced today at their I/O conference that attendees can now pre-order Google Glass. For those who dont know, Glass is Google's augmented reality headset that was announced earlier this year. Starting today I/O developers can pre-order the "explorer" edition of Google Glass for $1,500, although no word on when they can expect to receive them. Google Glass is still in development and is not ready for the public quite yet, but Google announced an expected release date of early 2013. Along with the announcement Google released a video showcasing the headset streaming to Google+ which you can check out above. As always, we'll keep you updated on Google Glass as it progresses through development.

Source: BGR and Phandroid

Last edited by a moderator:

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Given that my interests (and work) sort of sit on the boundary between technology and autonomous/intelligent systems, I can tell you that the Google Glass "commercial" we saw several weeks back will NOT be available for use in early 2013. We're still a good 5 years (and probably more like 10) from the kind of fluency that's shown in that example. This is really the infancy of location-aware, natural-speech-processing, visual-recognition systems, and while I don't doubt we'll all be sporting wearable computing systems in the next decade, the software just isn't up to speed yet. We probably also need a few more iterations of hardware advances before we have the processing power that's necessary.

It's kinda funny (anyone know the "singularity" theory?), but I do sense a rapidly accelerating convergence of technology leaps (e.g., computing at the nano scale) and advances in machine intelligence. Remember the recent ad for Corning (last year?) that had all these display/computing surfaces, like windows, windshields, glass table tops, etc.? I don't think that version of reality is so far off.

-Matt

ohcop72

Reaction score
Given that my interests (and work) sort of sit on the boundary between technology and autonomous/intelligent systems, I can tell you that the Google Glass "commercial" we saw several weeks back will NOT be available for use in early 2013. We're still a good 5 years (and probably more like 10) from the kind of fluency that's shown in that example. This is really the infancy of location-aware, natural-speech-processing, visual-recognition systems, and while I don't doubt we'll all be sporting wearable computing systems in the next decade, the software just isn't up to speed yet. We probably also need a few more iterations of hardware advances before we have the processing power that's necessary.

It's kinda funny (anyone know the "singularity" theory?), but I do sense a rapidly accelerating convergence of technology leaps (e.g., computing at the nano scale) and advances in machine intelligence. Remember the recent ad for Corning (last year?) that had all these display/computing surfaces, like windows, windshields, glass table tops, etc.? I don't think that version of reality is so far off.

-Matt

With all that said, Being in Law Enforcement, I want the ones they have now. Image Officers being able to video while on a call from the officers point of view, taking the pictures needed. Also being able to relay your sight to another responding officer or supervisor. If the technology does advance to other things such as navigation, sms etc. then that makes it even better for LE's. Just saying Google LET ME TRY A PAIR for this!!!!

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
With all that said, Being in Law Enforcement, I want the ones they have now. Image Officers being able to video while on a call from the officers point of view, taking the pictures needed. Also being able to relay your sight to another responding officer or supervisor. If the technology does advance to other things such as navigation, sms etc. then that makes it even better for LE's. Just saying Google LET ME TRY A PAIR for this!!!!

As long as I can wear a pair too on the other side of law enforcement. I have a ton of respect for law enforcement but when I see some trying to stop video recording for no apparent reason...well...as long as I can video record you too.

Cripton805

Reaction score
When I was about 10 years old and my sister got her first contacts, I thought about an idea that would turn contact lenses into something like this. It would also include gaming, computing, etc... My theory was that it was possible by using the electricity in the brain to control the actions in the contact lenses. Therefore you could control everything by just thinking about it. I didnt know how, but I suspected a possibility.

They are already developing a chip that helps disabled people regain mobility. It uses the brain and its electricity.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I don't think I'd ever take those skydiving.