Google Gets More Serious with Security; Bans Everyone From Non-Play Store Updates

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Apr 26, 2013.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    [​IMG]

The folks at Google are getting a bit more serious about security for apps in the Google Play Store. Apparently, Google has banned app developers from performing updates unless they go directly through the Google Play Store. Here's Goggle's official statement on the matter,

What's interesting about this is actually how it came about. This new stricter policy was instigated by Facebook of all things. Apparently, the social network giant decided to update their pre-Facebook Home Facebook app, but did it directly through the app, bypassing Google's Play Store completely. Google was not happy about this, so they tightened up their policies.

Source: AndroidPolice

2. Shadez

Shadez Super Mod/News Team

Ratings:
    +208
    Current Phone Model:
    HTC One M8
    Twitter:
    @Shadez69
    I think it's a good idea...

3. NeoPhoenixTE

NeoPhoenixTE Member

Ratings:
    +24
    I gonna assume this means anything we'd downloaded from 3rd party markets (like Amazon) are thus exempt from this policy because we never went through the Play Store in the first place.

Other than that, I like this change. It's a bit more strict control over what folks are getting, and keeps malware from sneaking in an update with new permissions.

4. Shadez

Shadez Super Mod/News Team

Ratings:
    +208
    Current Phone Model:
    HTC One M8
    Twitter:
    @Shadez69
    I think it's a safeguard Google is taking to watch our for certain apps.. jmo

5. johnomaz

johnomaz Silver Member

Ratings:
    +760
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel XL
    I didn't even realize that was possible. I'm not a dev so I thought an app had to update via the play store.

6. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass Senior Member

Ratings:
    +123
    Smart move, things are getting on the crazy end with security and could use a correction phase before it gets out of hand.

7. 52brandon

52brandon Active Member

Ratings:
    +19
    I gotta disagree with everybody else. I don't like it at all. Android is open-source. I like it because it's the anti-Apple. Locking stuff down is just shifting more towards being like Apple. It's like watching a team change their game-plan after coming back from a deficit and taking the lead into a more "prevent" style rather than simply sticking with the plan that got them the lead to begin with. Maybe if their lead shrinks, they'll rethink it

8. xeene

xeene Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,027
    open-source doesn't mean open security. good thing google locked this one fast, could have been a recipe for disaster.

with old system an app could have been posing as legit one, once enough copies installed a dev was able to push a malware update bypassing google and all other securities.

9. pc747

pc747 Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +5,860
    I hear you but android has to evolve. It can no longer be the open source of old. Its the open source with just enough room to not burn down the house. With android at it's highest point with galaxy s devices and phones all over they can't afford to have a rogue app bring down the house. Will they be able to keep out every one no but if you cut down the number it makes it easy to find the rouge apps. The new play store has become important as Google tries to bring in more movies and music which is important given the entire android ecosystem is revolving around it. Companies are more willing to trust a Google that has contol than one that has lost control and can not crack down on counterfeit apps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

10. 52brandon

52brandon Active Member

Ratings:
    +19
    I hope it's really about security rather than control. I would hate to see the brand I love turn into the one I hate

11. Jeyman

Jeyman Member

Ratings:
    +1
    You could always use the other stores other then google. Amazon has nearly all the play store apps and even a few of their own, you could also aim to buy it from the dev themselves. More support and money to them doing that way as well.

You can still side load your apps you do not need to get them from the google store.

12. mardoon

mardoon Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I use f-droid for ad blocking apps.

Search tags for this page
ban from google mod play store
cracks administrator privlages samsung shg i747 no pc

google gets more serious with security; ...

google gets more serious with security; bans everyone from n

how install google play store bitmore 760
play store ïƒï„î¿ bitmore 760
play store security controls