Google Faked Us Out; Android 4.4 Will Not Be Key Lime Pie but 'KitKat' Instead

Big Ry

Reaction score
So not enough people know what key lime pie tastes like, but everyone in the world knows what eclairs, honeycomb, and froyo taste like? I had to Google "froyo" because I didn't know wtf is was. Once I figured out, yes I'd had it, but I never heard the abbreviation. I've maybe had like 2 eclairs in my life. And the closest thing to honeycomb I've ever had comes in cereal form. This is kind of ridiculous. I'm not really irritated about the fact that the name changed (although it looks like amateur hour over at Google HQ). I'm irritated that they used a brand name. It deviates from the already well established naming convention and clearly was done to turn a profit. If they're going to keep this up, Android 7.0 better be called Reese's PB cup!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Str8Aro

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
I understand the cycle, but why the minor increments now when they've finally started to win over the world? Major updates shouldn't just been seen as evolutionary, it should be seen as a defense mechanism against the competition. Keep it new, keep it fresh. If they're not going about bringing major change, then someone else will no matter how dominant their market-share (e.g. Android VS iOS)

If I were Apple or anyone else, right now I'd be smelling opportunity to gain a great foothold. We've been on 4.0+ since October 2011.

This is a good read about the "minor increments". Now, how to get OEMs and carriers to step it up?

Balky carriers and slow OEMs step aside: Google is defragging Android | Ars Technica

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
This is a good read about the "minor increments". Now, how to get OEMs and carriers to step it up?

Balky carriers and slow OEMs step aside: Google is defragging Android | Ars Technica

That is a good article and I've posted before on the brilliance of the idea, but the general feel of such a strategy is, well, stifling. They can do that all they like but staying on the same core system for 3+ years...not exactly going to make it on the highlight reel. They need new frameworks, new security, project butter 2.0...

he only way OEM's will speed up is to create competition, if LG for instance made it their priority to be the first to update all their devices, wouldn't you look their direction? Motorola? Samsung too? I would.

Problem is even if they do become competitive they still have to get through the carriers, which is the real problem. And the only way that will be solved is if Google becomes a carrier it's self, which I'm not sure even Google can really do.

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I'm perfectly fine with incremental updates so long as they're addressing issues that the userbase has with the operating system. ICS was such a huge deviation from the past incarnations of Android; because it needed to be streamlined and simpler to use. But since 4.0+ has dropped, I have been extremely content with the Android ecosystem as a whole, and anything I can't find in the core OS I can easily find in custom ROMs.

I guess what I don't understand is, what exactly are you clamoring for in terms of ground breaking new features?

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
So not enough people know what key lime pie tastes like, but everyone in the world knows what eclairs, honeycomb, and froyo taste like? I had to Google "froyo" because I didn't know wtf is was. Once I figured out, yes I'd had it, but I never heard the abbreviation. I've maybe had like 2 eclairs in my life. And the closest thing to honeycomb I've ever had comes in cereal form. This is kind of ridiculous. I'm not really irritated about the fact that the name changed (although it looks like amateur hour over at Google HQ). I'm irritated that they used a brand name. It deviates from the already well established naming convention and clearly was done to turn a profit. If they're going to keep this up, Android 7.0 better be called Reese's PB cup!

Perfectly said. I STILL don't know wtf a Froyo is. Something to do with yogurt?
Key Lime Pie is actually my favorite desert. So, as disappointed puppy said, I'm not mad just disappointed.
And KitKat? Really? Who ever has a KitKat for desert? Exactly no one.

Big Ry

Reaction score
Fro = frozen, Yo = yogurt. I just call it "Frozen yogurt" because I don't see the point in combing only two words into one combination of partial words.

TatDroid

Reaction score
Fro = frozen, Yo = yogurt. I just call it "Frozen yogurt" because I don't see the point in combing only two words into one combination of partial words.

I know, right? What the JLo is that trend all about?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Who gives a rat's ass what they call it?

I believe a lot of people do, including myself. Personally I prefer KitKats over Key Lime Pie, so that is going to give me a warmer happier feeling when thinking about the upcoming OS. Believe it or not, it affects people, and Google knows that.

Also lets try and keep the language family friendly around here please, younger eyes could be watching.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I believe a lot of people do, including myself. Personally I prefer KitKats over Key Lime Pie, so that is going to give me a warmer happier feeling when thinking about the upcoming OS. Believe it or not, it affects people, and Google knows that.

Also lets try and keep the language family friendly around here please, younger eyes could be watching.

Exactly and the people they going to grab are not us android nerds but the average user. Nestle and Google will benefit from it. Nestle because boot logos will probably have an android kit Kat and android because when they talk about 4.4 kit Kat that will grab more attention than key lime pie. Almost every grocery store have that kit Kat bar at the check out line. Key lime pie is a seasonal thing and even then not everyone has has key lime pie. I am calling like it is marketing designed to keep people talking about it. I wonder how many kit kats nestle sold after the announcement and sites like this talking about it. Heck I have a taste for a kit Kat bar now that I am sitting here talking about it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

xtor

Reaction score
Should have been called," banana split"

sent from a note yee (2)