Google Easter Egg of the Day to Honor Robert Moog's 78th Birthday

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, May 23, 2012.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

Google has an easter egg on their front page today that honors Robert Moog. I know... I hadn't heard of him either, but apparently, he is the inventor of the Moog synthesizer, and one of the major pioneers of electronic music. He is turning 78 today, and some Google engineers must have been fans, because if you head over to Google, you will see an old-style keyboard setup in place of the Google title. What's really cool about it is that you can actually play it! Furthermore, there are a number of additional settings for the virtual device that change the way it sounds, and you can even record your musical creations/monstrosities and send them to your friends.

Source: Google
  2. WildcatRudy

WildcatRudy New Member

It is a stripped down replica of the Minimoog...very cool! I didn't realize it earlier today until I hovered over a button (which you can do on the Arturus Minimoog software emulator, which I use via MIDI), but you can change the settings on the knobs. Hold down the mouse button and drag up or down.

Even the notes on the keyboard are correct. :D
  3. aaf709

aaf709 Nice Guy Premium Member

In the early 70s it was so different. There's a lot of moog music on You Tube.
  4. WildcatRudy

WildcatRudy New Member

Two of the big artists associated with the original Moog synthesizer were Isao Tomita (via his debut album Snowflakes Are Dancing, which was my introduction to the Moog back in the 70s) and Walter (now Wendy) Carlos with the Switched On Bach album. Both were very popular back in the day, and the original Moog was a panel of knobs, jacks and patch cords...and the amazing thing was that the keyboards were not polyphonic. In other words, they could only play one note at a time...you could not play a chord of three or four notes! So, these recordings were basically made one part at a time on multitrack, and then mixed in the studio. On some of Tomita's recordings, especially his debut, it often sounds like a full orchestra is playing. An incredible amount of work if you think about it!

There were a ton of imitators also, and then the Moog also made it into rock music. The original Moog was a large contraption that was largely studio-bound, where the Minimoog was portable enough that it could take those sounds portable.

It has quite a learning curve, but it is also very unique.
Search tags for this page
android moog

google organ