Google Earth

HolyGrail

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Its not showing up in the market place, so I have been trying to install it manually with a backup .apk file with no success. Anybody got it successfully installed?

Last edited:

bcrigler

Reaction score
I heard this app was missing as well. Although I don't see much of a difference between Google Earth and Google Maps with the satellite layer turned on....

gonaads

Reaction score
Go to this link with your incredible's web browser or Opera Mini. I used Opera Mini.

http://sites.google.com/site/droidlife24/home/google_earth.apk?attredirects=0

Make sure that you have the "Unknown Sources" (under Applications) box checked.

If you type the link in manually the keyboard doesn't show an = character so I didn't enter that character, nor the 0 since I needed the =

Opera opened up the page and instantly ask to save it to my SD Card (no option to save directly to phone). Once it has downloaded Opera asks to open it or not. Open it and it will install. Works great on my Incredible.

This is all with Opera Mini mind you.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

BzB

Reaction score
had to do install it way too. love this app, kind of baffled it doesn't show up in the market yet.

windstrings

Reaction score
had to do install it way too. love this app, kind of baffled it doesn't show up in the market yet.

Since we don't know why... we get to guess.....

Cellphones having google earth much be a much larger load on the servers than with computers alone having it, possibly much more than double.

Arcangl123

Reaction score
Go to this link with your incredible's web browser or Opera Mini. I used Opera Mini.

http://sites.google.com/site/droidlife24/home/google_earth.apk?attredirects=0

Make sure that you have the "Unknown Sources" (under Applications) box checked.

If you type the link in manually the keyboard doesn't show an = character so I didn't enter that character, nor the 0 since I needed the =

Opera opened up the page and instanly ask to save it to my SD Card (no option to save directly to phone). Once it has downloaded Opera asks to open it or not. Open it and it will install. Works great on my Incredible.

This is all with Opera Mini mind you.

How this helps.

Thanks! This worked great!dancedroid

Love this app.

RichieD

Reaction score
Ok I downloaded google earth from the link and when I go to open the app i get a message saying "Can't write to data directory, maybe run out of disk space." Any ideas?

BzB

Reaction score
Ok I downloaded google earth from the link and when I go to open the app i get a message saying "Can't write to data directory, maybe run out of disk space." Any ideas?

first you need to uninstall the app. then on your sd card navigate to the folder android/data/com.google.earth and delete that entire folder. then reinstall the app and that should do it.

i had this problem too, i believe it was caused by bringing over the sd card from my droid which also had the earth app installed. maybe it caused some kind of conflict by having data cached in the earth folder from previous use, but once i did the above i was good to go. good luck!

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
The reason its not showing up is because Google needs to update the app to include compatibility with the DI. Its not so much that we aren't compatible, but that the Market needs to know that so it will display it. This happened with the Moto Droid first updated to 2.1 as well.

gonaads

Reaction score
The reason its not showing up is because Google needs to update the app to include compatibility with the DI. Its not so much that we aren't compatible, but that the Market needs to know that so it will display it. This happened with the Moto Droid first updated to 2.1 as well.

So what are the issues atm? It works great on my Incredible with no hicups.
But then we (Verizon/HTC Incredible owners) just got a software update from 1.22.605.0 to 1.22.605.2 & I installed Earth after I did the update.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I've already mentioned what the issue is?

revik

Reaction score
"Can't write to data directory" error

For those who got that error.. i checked sdcard/Android/data/ and there was no com.google.earth folder..
so i created it and also created folders "cache" and "debug" within the folder,
reinstalled Earth and i didn't get the error so.. it might be the solution as well.

MiXoLoGiSt

Reaction score
I didnt have any issues when i installed Earth but im not a fan of it so i didn't leave it on the phone very long.