Google Earth - I don't get it.

mendy817

Reaction score
its really the same as google maps with satellite view though... not much difference other than the "curvature of the earth"

DarrellM5

Reaction score
I think it's neat, but it sure is taking up a lot of internal ram. I've temporarily uninstalled it until they come out with a way to install apps to the sd card.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Google Earth - I don't get it.
It's a virtual globe. If you don't get it don't use it. I mean, are you going to dedicate a thread for every single app that you don't get? Seems tedious...

Not everyone will find every app useful. That's just the way it is.

OP
S

sudermatt

Reaction score
OH ..... TILT!

I get it....this is actually really really cool.

Cowpoke

Reaction score
its really the same as google maps with satellite view though... not much difference other than the "curvature of the earth"

Yeah thats what it seems like to me. Just maps with satelite view and some other layers turned on. But you can change your angle of view so that it sorta looks like you are flying (navigator does this though).

Other than that I agree, I don't see what makes it much different than maps.

Its maps wrapped around a manipulatable ball.

hinky

Reaction score
It's a manifestation of the fact that Google has too much money.

butch350

Reaction score
Ah...Kinda like a...

resource using toy. Had it installed on my pc - i un installed when my
infactuation for it wore off. It's... oh well, been there, done that, no
fun anymore. Please, don't let me put a damper on the app - I'm sure
some will enjoy.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Practical use: I fish a lot, particularly down on the Louisiana coast. Google earth let's me look for deep holes in the marsh and in the lakes and bays it lets me look for shallow oyster reefs and deep channels. It has put me on the fish several times. Used to have to take laptop in the boat with me - no more!

Royal2000H

Reaction score
So Google Maps satellite view vs Google Earth...

The only difference is a flat map when you're zoomed out instead of a globe?
And that u can tilt?
Is tilting an actual tilt (like viewing the location from a diff angle) or is it just manipulating the current picture, like u can do on photoshop (skewing)

SGTiger

Reaction score
So Google Maps satellite view vs Google Earth...

The only difference is a flat map when you're zoomed out instead of a globe?
And that u can tilt?
Is tilting an actual tilt (like viewing the location from a diff angle) or is it just manipulating the current picture, like u can do on photoshop (skewing)

I'm pretty sure they combine satellite view with a terrain layer to create the 3d look. In other words, you can zoom into mountains and tilt so that you can see the elevation changes. My only complaint is I wish the topographical resolution was higher so that smaller hills could be discerned.

Chatchie

Reaction score
Plus you can enter things in the search and itll zoom right to them, like Area 51, Rome, Golden Gate Bridge, its cool, i like it.

trumpet444

Reaction score
a cool parlor trick pretty much. google maps is more useful. its just really cool to say, "hey, i have google earth on my phone!"

th9203

Reaction score
Finally! Others who don't get it. I thought that maybe I was the only one. I kept looking for some useful utility to the application on my PC and just never found it. It does have some interesting information buried inside. The fishing story above is the best use that I have heard for the application.