Google Earth GONE from the store...?

JimmyD

Reaction score
I can not see Google Earth in the Market either.

For the record, I have never been rooted, I manually forced the 2.1 update yesterday.

For those who want to download google_earth.apk you can find it here >>link>> google earth for 2.0.1 and non-rooted users | Droid Life: A Motorola Droid Blog

I have downloaded it, but I haven't installed it yet... I want to wait a few days to see if any reasoning for it being possibly pulled from the Market is uncovered. :p

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Uninstalled but I can still see it in all areas of the market: downloads, search results, browsing categories.

Weird.

Very strange indeed. The deeper we dig the more mystifying this is.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
Tally me in as well. Just got done searching the keywords:
"google"
"google inc."
"earth"
"google earth"
"why are you hiding from me google earth?"

...but alas, nothing. Like others have said, I doubt I'll even keep it, just want to check it out. Back in the day when Google Maps was first taking off on the PC, I used Google Earth all the time. Now, Maps is awesome, and just as much so via mobile, they just need a way to let you dynamically alter your route by dragging it like on a computer.

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
I actually installed an apk file from the internet of earth when i was stil on 2.01 before doing the force/manual update whatever u wanna call it to 2.1

Daybreak

Reaction score
Droid 2.1 forced update, 2am as soon as it was found , installed google earth immediately, second droid installed 2.1 last night, now google earth is missing for that Droid. Google earth cannot be found on either droid now.
Google earth measures 22 plus megabytes

Last edited:

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
I wonder if this issue only happens when people do the force update? Either way those who really want it should try what I did, download the apk file from the browser using something like astro..not that hard, though I'm not sure if there's an updated version since apk files downloaded outside the strore don't get automatic updates...yes I'm guilty of the rest

OP
X

xxfire

Reaction score
I wonder if this issue only happens when people do the force update? Either way those who really want it should try what I did, download the apk file from the browser using something like astro..not that hard, though I'm not sure if there's an updated version since apk files downloaded outside the strore don't get automatic updates...yes I'm guilty of the rest

If you read most of the posts, has nothing to do with force updates...
I installed with the apk file, but when it shows up back in the market I'll uninstall and reinstall...

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
I have a feeling that Verizon (or whoever does the OTA update) has asked Google to temporarily pull Google Earth until the Droid 2.1 OTA is complete. If you think about it, the Million plus OTA update stresses the Verizon system as it is, add the large Google Earth downloads that most (if not all) of the new 2.1 users are doing and it is a recipe for way over stressing the system...to the possible point of failure, or at a minimum reduced service for all Verizon customers.

That's my theory and I am sticking to it ... for now :)

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Yep, I did the manual update to 2.1

Google Earth was NOT in the market.

I installed it from an apk on droid-life.com and even though it's installed, I still can NOT see it in the market.

Very Strange.

Same here.. not in market ..manual update

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Uninstalled but I can still see it in all areas of the market: downloads, search results, browsing categories.

Weird.

Very strange indeed. The deeper we dig the more mystifying this is.

I say it was professor plumb, in the conservatory, with the candlestick! Close? :)

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Yep, I did the manual update to 2.1

Google Earth was NOT in the market.

I installed it from an apk on droid-life.com and even though it's installed, I still can NOT see it in the market.

Very Strange.

Same here.. not in market ..manual update

Weird. I updated via Pete's prerooted update the morning after the rollout.
I see Google earth just fine in the market place.

oakdale_mike

Reaction score
Reset did the trick

I did the "Settings/Privacy/Factory data reset" and when the smoke cleared, I found Google Earth in the Market. It installed and runs fine.

I did this primarily to get the Picasa Gallery sync feature.

The reset was not as painful as I thought it would be. The only thing I lost for sure was sywpe, and I'll restore that in a moment (I hope).

sxeptomaniac

Reaction score
I have a feeling that Verizon (or whoever does the OTA update) has asked Google to temporarily pull Google Earth until the Droid 2.1 OTA is complete. If you think about it, the Million plus OTA update stresses the Verizon system as it is, add the large Google Earth downloads that most (if not all) of the new 2.1 users are doing and it is a recipe for way over stressing the system...to the possible point of failure, or at a minimum reduced service for all Verizon customers.

That's my theory and I am sticking to it ... for now :)

I've got the same problem as others, and that's one theory I can think of at the moment, though it's a little inexplicable as to why some people can still find and install it. I've found references to other phone models having issues with disappearing apps after a 2.1 update due to Google forgetting to change a particular setting, but who knows if it's related or not?

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
OK this is a shot in the dark but worth a shot. I'm offline on my Droid right now so maybe somebody can try this.

Drop the update.zip back on the root of the SD card unmount and then do a market search.

Can someone give it a shot?