Google Earth for 2.1 is out!

bishop7262

Reaction score
can you explain that further please? Like step by step?

Sure! (I wish I could find the original post for credit, I think it was adrynalyn.) Use Root Explorer to navigate to the system folder, in which you'll find a file called build.prop. Hit the Mount R/W button at the top to allow editing and then long press the build.prop file to bring up a menu. Scroll down to 'open in text editior'. Four lines down in the file you'll see "ro.build.version.sdk=6" ... Change the '6' to a '7', and then back out and hit MountR/O. Reboot, and that should do it.

(Standard disclaimer...Make sure you have a backup before editing if you want to be safe. :) )

Thanks for this, worked perfect the first time without a hitch. Downloading earth right now. I really appreciate the step by step

Follow the direction up top. I was able to download it off of the market and it is sweet!!!!

bishop7262

Reaction score
How do you zoom out? For the life of me I can not figure out how to do that. Nevermind found it. Pinch/Zoom

AJRAS

Reaction score
it meant for rom 2.1 so it wont show up unless you are rooted
or running a custom rom

elgordo123

Reaction score
Could this be used in a foreign country (say Mexico) for a map while driving? Not turn by turn, but at least a view of where I am and steet names, etc?

A person could visit the areas via wifi before they left and then use that downloaded/offline map for driving?

(Offline google maps that many people of been asking for?)

baniels

Reaction score
Here's something strange. When this came out I was on DroidMod 1.0 (if I recall). I downloaded it from the market - worked great. Pinch and zoom, pinch and rotate - perfect.

I later installed the Smoked Glass 5.0 ROM. I reinstalled Google Earth and now the pinch and rotate does not work. Pinch and zoom is fine, but no rotate.

Any thoughts?

Diordna

Reaction score
I just did this (did not have to use Astro like they said)

got it, works perfect on NOT rooted. Now, just want to import my local desktop KML files

This Google article helps explain some features not obvious

You're my hero! This was SO easy! I looked for hours on other peoples instructions on this forum that were horrible and difficult involving plugging in USB and everything like that, that never worked. This takes a minute!

Running 2.0.1 with nothing else, just plain droid.
Runs smooth!

"Around the world in 80 days" my ass. Now just a few seconds!

Lock-N-Load

Reaction score
I just did this (did not have to use Astro like they said)

got it, works perfect on NOT rooted. Now, just want to import my local desktop KML files

This Google article helps explain some features not obvious

You're my hero! This was SO easy! I looked for hours on other peoples instructions on this forum that were horrible and difficult involving plugging in USB and everything like that, that never worked. This takes a minute!

Running 2.0.1 with nothing else, just plain droid.
Runs smooth!

"Around the world in 80 days" my ass. Now just a few seconds!

great, yes I also looked at many sites and some had such convoluted methods, this was by far the easiest.