Google Docs Mobile Editing is here for Android!

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;eAr5VoYdVBo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAr5VoYdVBo]YouTube - Mobile Editing in Google Docs[/video]​

The Google Docs Blog has a recent post announcing mobile editing using Google Documents is ready and rolling out for Android 2.2 users. They’ve even posted the following helpful video to explain how easy the new editor should make it to work on documents or spreadsheets on the go. It's about time Google!

Source: Google Docs Blog

Reaction score
Awesome!!! I was holding back from purchasing Documents to Go and now I am happy I did just that!!! Searching and downloading now!!!

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
Does this work for anyone here? I saw the other thread about it yesterday and I couldnt edit any docouments. I saw this posted in the news section and thought that maybe NOW it would work, but same thing, I get no edit button in any of my documents.

Reaction score
According to the blog, it seems to not be out just yet. It might be an app also.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Does this work for anyone here? I saw the other thread about it yesterday and I couldnt edit any docouments. I saw this posted in the news section and thought that maybe NOW it would work, but same thing, I get no edit button in any of my documents.
I can view in mobile mode. In desktop mode, if I create a new document, I can edit it. But only with the physical keyboard (on the D1). The virtual keyboard doesn't pop up. And viewing/scrolling the document is a bit wonky.

On the plus side, I can open the same document in a browser on my laptop, and watch the changes update in realtime as I edit on my phone. :)

-Matt

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
What browser are you using? When I go to desktop mode it tells me my browser isn't supported for documents.
Yep, I get the same result as you with stock browser. But I can edit (as noted above) with Dolphin HD. Kind of ironic that Google Docs doesn't work (yet?) with the stock Android browser.

-Matt

Sal

Reaction score
What browser are you using? When I go to desktop mode it tells me my browser isn't supported for documents.
Yep, I get the same result as you with stock browser. But I can edit (as noted above) with Dolphin HD. Kind of ironic that Google Docs doesn't work (yet?) with the stock Android browser.

-Matt

When you guys talk about mobile vs. desktop mode: Why wouldn't you just use the "mobile mode", i.e. go to "docs" through google's main menu of mobile apps. It works fine in there. How are you entering "docs" otherwise?

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
There's a way to switch between views (mobile, desktop) at the bottom of the page. In mobile view I can read documents, but there doesn't seem to be any way to edit an existing doc or create a new one. Only have those options in the desktop view.

-Matt

Sal

Reaction score
There's a way to switch between views (mobile, desktop) at the bottom of the page. In mobile view I can read documents, but there doesn't seem to be any way to edit an existing doc or create a new one. Only have those options in the desktop view.

-Matt

Ahhh. Duh! :p

Okay just tested it on my Galaxy Tab stock browser, I can edit in "mobile" but can't get a keyboard to pop up in "desktop at all. (didn't try it with my paired bt freedom pro keyboard yet).

On my Droid1 stock browser, can edit with virtual kb in "mobile," can't use virtual kb but can use a laggy physical kb in "desktop."

GrillMouster

Reaction score
On the DX in mobile view I can create documents, but cannot delete them. I can edit, but cannot edit beyond entering and deleting text. I cannot make text bold, italic, change colors, etc. The Help menu says that it will retain those characteristics if I'm editing an existing document that already had those properties. I'd like to be albe to do it in mobile view. Also, when I'm done editing a document there is no way to go back to the main Docs list other than navigating to a completely different page then navigating to the Google Docs page. There should be a "done" button in edit mode.

GrillMouster

Reaction score
I'd actually like a Google Docs app, so I don't have to waste battery resources loading the browser. I'd also like a Google Tasks app (or integrate it into the Calendar app) and a simple Notes app. I can't believe Google released Android without basic stuff like Notes and Todo that were present in PDAs from more than a decade ago (my old Palm Pilot, Casio BOSS, and Sharp Wizard).

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I'd actually like a Google Docs app, so I don't have to waste battery resources loading the browser. I'd also like a Google Tasks app (or integrate it into the Calendar app) and a simple Notes app. I can't believe Google released Android without basic stuff like Notes and Todo that were present in PDAs from more than a decade ago (my old Palm Pilot, Casio BOSS, and Sharp Wizard).

Try out GTasks by Dato i think. It is a very simple app, but it is perfect for me. It syncs all your Google Tasks in realtime and you can even have multiple lists and have them color coded. Awesome.

About the Google Docs app and such... I agree. Hell, even the Google Calendar app could have been sooooo much better.