Google Could Team Up with Yahoo to Improve Yahoo's Search and Ads

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
yahoo-google-intertiwned.png

This seems like an unlikely partnership, but there are rumblings within the industry that Yahoo might reach out to Google to get help improving Yahoo's search engine and ad capabilities. Supposedly, Yahoo has already been testing Google search ads in a small number of desktop and mobile queries.

The reason this partnership is possible is that Yahoo's original exclusive partnership with Microsoft has changed. Their new agreement gives them freedom to experiment. Yahoo actually commented on the news, saying "As we work to create the absolute best experiences for Yahoo users, from time to time, we run small tests with a variety of partners including search providers." Makes sense...

Should an unlikely partnership between the two companies emerge, do you think it will help the flailing Yahoo return to relevance?

Source: Engadget

Last edited:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Wait...Do you Yahoo? Did they stop being a search engine, or were they never actually a search engine? I don't use any of their services, so I'm not familiar with even the Microsoft deal, but this strikes me as weird.

Also, I'm assuming Google would gain more user data if this partnership pans out, but I still don't get it.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Yea, I don't get it either. Yahoo uses Bing for search results. If you search them with the same terms you get the exact same results.
Last I heard around April, Bing has 7% of the market and Yahoo 3%. Google was at 86%. Ask.com brought up the rest (probably form accidental Java installs).
Maybe GOOG is just trying to erode more MS market share?

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
@PereDroid This isn't Google's move. This is just Yahoo testing the waters with Google's technology now that their contract with Microsoft's Bing has changed.

@Jonny Kansas They were always a search engine, but their own algorithms were just not good enough so they contracted with Microsoft to get a boost.

Last edited:

RyanPm40

Reaction score
I honestly thought Yahoo was dead until Community came to Yahoo Screen this year. Now that the show's over, back to me never using Yahoo again haha.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Haha yeah it's basically like a free Netflix, just paid with advertising. Not a great selection; Community was just my favorite sitcom.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Crackle had some great exclusive content come out last fall. I'm hoping they continue the trend. For a free service, Crackle isn't bad. Yeah, they're pretty weak compared to say Netflix, Hulu or even Prime.....but they have gotten better since I started using them a few years ago.
Content I'd recommend from Crackle:
Seinfeld's - Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee - hilarious
Chosen - best Crackle exclusive ever! awesome show, loved it!
Sequestered - another excellent Crackle exclusive
Cleaners - cheesy but pretty cool contract-killer-action-packed show

S5 tap'n

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Agree. I've watched all those too.
And some All In The Family. :)

TapaTurbo

Reactions: cr6