Google Could be Launching a Non-Nexus Google Phone [Rumor]

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
google-android-xlarge.jpg

There's an intriguing new rumor making rounds across the web that the next big Nexus development from Google may not be a Nexus at all. Supposedly, along-side the HTC Nexus devices already rumored, Google is creating a new Google phone that will not be a Nexus device.

Unnamed industry sources claim that Google "is in discussions with mobile operators about releasing a Google-branded phone that will extend the company’s move into hardware.” The primary purpose of this non-Nexus device is to allow Google to create an Android smartphone that they have tighter control over. This is supposedly to help reduce fragmentation across the industry, without angering their Android OEM partners.

Basically, it sounds like this Google-branded phone will serve as an example for the best quality experience available with the Android OS. If you break it down in your head, that's basically the same thing as a Nexus device, but much stricter. It's like a "super-Nexus."

For now we are filing this into the rumor category, so take it with a healthy helping of salt.

Source: Google to step up smartphone wars with release of own handset

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
This could be very interesting, especially if they best their Nexus Branded devices...
Although it would kill that side of their business plan...

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
It was my understanding that a Nexus phone is a Google phone, just made by a specific OEM.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This could be very interesting, especially if they best their Nexus Branded devices...
Although it would kill that side of their business plan...
I agree... it seems like they would be competing with themselves. Plus, it seems redundant...

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I would have to believe that this non Nexus Google phone would be one that's locked down and therefore not rootable and not have an unlocked bootloader. That would be the major distinction between that and the Nexus as far as I can see.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I would have to believe that this non Nexus Google phone would be one that's locked down and therefore not rootable and not have an unlocked bootloader. That would be the major distinction between that and the Nexus as far as I can see.

If that were true the Nexus crowd wouldn't move over, that's the main reason I got my first Nexus, unlocked and clean of bloat.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I agree, but I'm not sensing that this non Nexus phone is targeting the Nexus buyer. Instead it seems this non Nexus phone is targeting the mass public consumer, and attempting to steal away market share from the major manufacturers, as an example of how phones should be.

Clamshell

Reaction score
I believe this is more than a rumor based on the fact that Rick Osterloh is back at Google to oversee this and other projects.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have a feeling the Nexus brand will become the high end brand while the Google device will be targeted more towards the general audience. So we will see specs that may be around the high end area but will not be earth shattering. I'm thinking something in the range of Moto G specs (though I know the G is more geared to be a mid-end device).

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
But if Google wants to compete with their arch rival Apple, they're going to have to produce a top cabin handset, otherwise they will look weak.

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Now CNET has a video on it.

Last edited:

RyanPm40

Reaction score
I agree, but I'm not sensing that this non Nexus phone is targeting the Nexus buyer. Instead it seems this non Nexus phone is targeting the mass public consumer, and attempting to steal away market share from the major manufacturers, as an example of how phones should be.

Yeah if this is Google's way of getting a phone into cell carriers without worrying about the carrier removing key Nexus features, I can get on board behind that.

I would love a Nexus, but I don't just have close to a thousand dollars (edit: oh wow, only $500 now, but still) just sitting around for a phone whenever I want one haha

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Didn't Google say that they were going to start certifying phones as "Daydream" ready and these phones would have top VR specs? On top of that what about project Tango? They're supposed to have something ready to go regarding that too.

They're probably making the standard bearing devices for "Daydream"/"Tango" phones which will be a different line than Nexus devices.