Google Confirms Nexus S to get ICS; Fall Rollout for Most Gingerbread Devices too!

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Oct 19, 2011.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

According to a report that Engadget made from the Samsung/Google event last night, they heard straight from Google's Gabe Cohen that the Nexus S will be getting Ice Cream Sandwich. Supposedly, they are already working on porting it to the device, and it shouldn't take too long. Cohen further elaborated that most Gingerbread devices will get the upgrade, saying: "Currently in the process for releasing Ice Cream Sandwich for Nexus S. Theoretically should work for any 2.3 device."

In fact, another report from ThisIsMyNext confirms that is the plan. Andy Rubin, Android's CEO himself, indicated in an interview at the AsiaD conference, that Google was planning to start rolling out ICS "a couple of weeks" after its launch. That means, that we should start seeing Android 4.0 coming to our Gingerbread devices as early as December!

Yum. I love Ice Cream Sandwiches. How about you guys?

Source: Android.net via Engadget and ThisIsMyNext
    1 person likes this.
  2. Shadez

Shadez Super Mod/News Team Staff Member Premium Member

Best news I heard all day!
  3. JoDroid

JoDroid Member

So that would mean Bionic as well?

That would be Yummy ;)
  4. OnMy2ndGP

OnMy2ndGP New Member

I've seen this DX grow through many growths spurts....Froyo, GB, HC bits, CM7 (2nd-init). I sure would love some ICS *drooling*
  5. sst45jeff

sst45jeff Member

Bionic & ICS

I agree best news to come out yet. I was more excited about ICS than the nexus phone.
    Only problem I see for the Bionic is the Bionic probably wont get ICS until after the Razor since it is just getting released & they want people to buy it.
    Motorola ICS will probably be the same build for the Razor & Bionic But the Bionic wont get it until a few months after the Razor.
    I hope I am wrong but it just makes good marketing sense.

I have not rooted my Bionic but I may have to just so I can get ICS in a reasonable amount of time. I am sure it will be available to rooters as a plain vanilla long before the Motorola over the air update comes out.
  6. Shadez

You may be right, but from a public relations standpoint, the Bionic should see it first if not at the same time. Motorola & VZW knows how irked Bionic owners are now, imagine the outcry that they would receive if the newer device got ICS 1st. I'm not saying that this is how it's going to play out, but it's HOW it should play out.
    1 person likes this.
  7. johnomaz

johnomaz Well-Known Member

However, its up to the carriers to push out the update. I mean, come on. It takes them how long to get an update for one phone, let alone all past phone for the last year or so. I doubt many phones will see ICS. I'll rely on CyanogenMod and the 2nd init to get me to ICS on my DroidX. Plus, Moto and HTC put their crap UIs on top of it. That is what takes so long.
  8. Dusty

Dusty Premium Member Premium Member

I said this in another thread and I think it fits here too...
    I'll be absolutely SHOCKED if OEMs roll out either:

1) Vanilla ICS for currently skinned (i.e. SenseUI, Blur) GB devices or
    2) ICS (after adding their mandatory bloat) in under 6 months on >50% of all devices released within the past year.

When will the average Joe see ICS on his/her device? History says it'll be hit or miss and don't count on it any time soon.

Sorry to be so negative, but after what I experienced on my DX and TB there is NO WAY I'm giving the manufacturers the benefit of the doubt.
  9. tgyberg

tgyberg Well-Known Member

I think it was 11 months before the DX got official GB? So who knows how long it will be!
  10. Shadez

You could be right also, but remember, Google is trying to get android unfragmented as soon as possible, and all phones on the same playing field. So I personally don't think we (Meaning everyone who has Gingerbread) will have to wait much longer after it's release to see it.
  11. combatmedic870

combatmedic870 Well-Known Member

SWEEEEEET!!!!!! This is good news to anyone who has a dual core phone! Atleast now it will have a proper OS on it!:D
  12. jntdroid

jntdroid DF Super Moderator Premium Member

What that should've said was this:

"... Google was planning to start rolling out ICS "a couple of weeks" after its launch, to the carriers so they can hold it, tweak it, etc. to their liking... therefore no ETA for our devices, but it should be soon!"

:D
  13. jrshelton13

jrshelton13 New Member

Can't wait until they start cooking up some roms based of this, should be sweet!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  14. Dusty

Dusty Premium Member Premium Member

Precisely! Some devices JUST got GB OTA only a few weeks ago! Ha! Fuggetaboutit!
  15. Oowoon

Oowoon New Member

If it rolls out for even the newest devices by the end or the year, i'll be shocked. What with the patterns we are seeing with the OEMs.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums
  16. npro1464

npro1464 Member

I'm excited to see that the Nexus S will get it, because that means that ICS won't be limited to only dual-core phones (a past rumor/speculation). That means hopefully the Thunderbolt dev community will get on a workable port to the Thunderbolt!! I'm eager to see what the devs come up with, though I am happy as a clam with fooling around with BAMF Forever cubed for now.
  17. spillner

spillner New Member

ICS for DROID 3 please!
  18. jrshelton13

jrshelton13 New Member

I thought that the DX was one of the FIRST to get Froyo and GB. I had just got my DX last year when the official OTA for Froyo came out and everyone was stoked. Then the same thing when GB came out, but by then I was getting the leaked versions, I can't remember exactly though.

I said all that to say I hope they follow that trend of supporting the phones already out rather than putting them at the end of the line, if a phone is not released with it, it shouldn't necessarily be the first on the list! (I hope!)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums