Google Confirms Nexus S by Samsung

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
google-nexus-s.png

We've seen the rumored Nexus S through the eyes of Mr. Blurrycam over the past month, but today the Nexus S becomes reality. Google has officially confirmed the next Google branded smartphone, the NEXUS S by Samsung. The S has some nice hardware features that are very similar to the current Samsung Galaxy lineup, but more importantly is the software. This will be the first phone to launch with the Android 2.3 aka Gingerbread! For more information and a little behind the scenes history, view the video below:

[video=youtube;fjaYKNwWWiQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjaYKNwWWiQ[/video]

UPDATE: The Nexus S site is now live! Check it out HERE

Here's a quick look at the Nexus S Specs:
  • Carrier: T-Mobile
  • Screen: 4-inches @800x480
  • Processor 1GHz Samsung Cortex A8
  • 512MB RAM, 16GB ROM
  • Wifi 802.11 b/g/n
  • Bluetooth 2.1
  • GPS
  • Near-field communications
  • Size: 63mm x 123.9mm x 10.8mm
  • Weight: 129 grams
  • Camera: 5MP

You can find more Nexus S videos and information at google.com/nexus or follow @GoogleNexus on Twitter for the latest updates. After December 16, Nexus S can be purchased (unlocked or with a T-Mobile service plan) online and in-store from all Best Buy and Best Buy Mobile stores in the U.S. and after December 20 at Carphone Warehouse and Best Buy retailers in the U.K. For all Google Nexus S discussions, be sure to visit: Google Nexus Forum

creaky

Reaction score
Too bad they released this ahead of the dual-core revolution. And it's not on VZW!

creaky

Reaction score
I'm still waiting for the Etna...

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
This is quite disappointing. So as far as I'm aware, these are the major differences between Nexus One vs Nexus S:

1GHz Snadragon vs 1GHz Hummingbird (mentionable improvement but not tons)
512MB ROM vs 8GB ROM (very nice)
3.7" vs 4.0" display (nice)
AMOLED vs Super AMOLED (mentionable improvement but not tons)
A/B/G vs B/G/N (mentionable improvement but not tons - when does your phone max out a G connection?)
No NFC vs NFC

As far as I can tell, the ROM size, screen size, and inclusion of NFC are really the only major improvements here. Am I missing something? VERY disappointing!

etx_droid

Reaction score
Very tempting since this is a pure Google device. The processor should be ample enough IMO. The only thing I'm not seeing is HDMI port. I can see myself using that quite a lot.

REARless

Reaction score
The network is the issue for me. T-mobile's coverage is spotty at best in my area.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
This phone looks VERY nice......

It got an excellent review as well.

If I was on T-Mobile I'd probably snatch this one up.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
This is quite disappointing. So as far as I'm aware, these are the major differences between Nexus One vs Nexus S:

1GHz Snadragon vs 1GHz Hummingbird (mentionable improvement but not tons)
512MB ROM vs 8GB ROM (very nice)
3.7" vs 4.0" display (nice)
AMOLED vs Super AMOLED (mentionable improvement but not tons)
A/B/G vs B/G/N (mentionable improvement but not tons - when does your phone max out a G connection?)
No NFC vs NFC

As far as I can tell, the ROM size, screen size, and inclusion of NFC are really the only major improvements here. Am I missing something? VERY disappointing!
The Snapdragon does not come close to the performance of the Hummingbird, great screen, FFC...this device is a definite step up from HTC's Nexus

wingdo

Reaction score
The network is the issue for me. T-mobile's coverage is spotty at best in my area.

By "spotty at best in my area" I can assume you are somewhere in the Continental US. Because it's carp here in Chicago as well.

joker402

Reaction score
So does it really not have a headphone jack? and can they explain why they changed the button layout again.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I like the new button layout. The current one seems unintuitive. The back button being one of the two middle ones confuses me when I use my wifes X. At least this is close to how it was originally.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I just saw specs with a 3.5 mm headphone jack listed

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
The site is live...I posted link in OP..this thing is nice!! That screen with Gingerbread is phenomenal.

Check out the video on the site.