Google Clock 4.2 Adds Plenty Of New Features

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

The clock app is my go to app for alarms and stop watch. There are plenty of great alternatives in the Play Store, but I always find myself using the stock Google Clock! It has just been updated to version 4.2. The new app comes with plenty of new features and tweaks.

The standout feature in this update is a gradually increasing alarm volume. While extremely effective the standard full blast volume can be pretty jarring when you are dead asleep. The gradual volume increase should make for a less headache inducing wake up routine. Otherwise there are some visual tweaks included in the app. There are now separate tones for different times on alarms. Some other changes include a transparent nav bar, and icons within the central floating action are smaller. Grab this icon from the link below.

via APKMirror

Beer Goggles

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S8
Does it have a setting to force it to use the phone speaker?

I've missed alarms before because Bluetooth was connected and it sent the alarm into outer space.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I've never used that clock. Finally they add an increasing alarm. YEARS after others have done this.
Can you set your own music as your alarm yet?
Guessing not.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I've never used that clock. Finally they add an increasing alarm. YEARS after others have done this.
Guessing not.
Can only use stock alarm tones.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Would be nice to keep this separate from that STUPID interruptions pop-up (I SOOOOOO want to delete that - it somehow manages to be more intrusive and annoying because it's really stupid about how and when it works with different apps)

Since that new interruptions thing, if my screen is merely ON and not doing anything, it gives me that drop down notification. For the alarm this is awful because I've gotten so used to swiping left to snooze and right to dismiss....the notification you just press a button for either, maybe with an extra option, and I can't read it.

Phone call is the same way. I don't understand it - in either case, phone or alarm, it pretty much demands your attention to do SOMETHING, so give me back the normal full screen UI. It's ringing loudly, so I'm going to have to do something to silence it. Pull your head out of your ass, Google

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Is that new with the update? I can use tones I have downloaded from Zedge as an alarm on the current version.
No. We've never been able to on Motorola phones. How do you add a custom?

d95145a2465b5b601124097feea68847.jpg

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Guessing not.
I'm been using my music as an alarm since ics.

c5e9e14e01052c94be16d06ac4cc3278.jpg

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I'm talking about my own music. Zedge puts the ringtones in the right place so they show up for the alarm.

Phone call is the same way. I don't understand it - in either case, phone or alarm, it pretty much demands your attention to do SOMETHING, so give me back the normal full screen UI. It's ringing loudly, so I'm going to have to do something to silence it. Pull your head out of your ass, Google

TOTALLY disagree with that. I LOVE IT for the Phone calls. When I'm doing something and my PITB buddy Brian calls I like just being able to ignore the incoming call while I continue what I am doing uninterrupted on my phone.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
By copying your Music tracks into the Notifications folder? Jump...lol good alarm song.
Actually I don't have to copy and move any thing I just click on the song in my music folder.

And yeah I like jump. The yeah at the beginning is a jarring awakening.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
8e1fbb639d7bde081ce7eace42448e89.jpg

I do this for both my nexus 5 & 6.

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
That's another method I hadn't thought of, but is always staring me in the face, you can just choose a file explorer to find the tone/song you want to use like pc747 has so graciously pointed out!

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
TOTALLY disagree with that. I LOVE IT for the Phone calls. When I'm doing something and my PITB buddy Brian calls I like just being able to ignore the incoming call while I continue what I am doing uninterrupted on my phone.

So you just let it continue to annoy you until it's finished ringing?!?