Google Chromecast question

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
So I picked up a Chromecast on impulse during the best Buy Black Friday sale. Also just got a new Samsung 32" Smart TV for the bedroom. I didn't realize I could do screen mirroring with my LG G3 (Miracast) and from my Nexus 7 (screen mirroring). My question is is there really any point to keeping the Chromecast?? Will it bring anything to the table that I can't already do with screen mirroring??? Other than the ability to use Chromecast apps that will stream with the device screen off.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I have Samsung televisions as well and see no need for a streaming stick. Other than the Apple devices in the household all of our other devices work without extra hardware.

I can see these sticks being popular for people that don't have smart TV capabilities. For those of us that do it is a pointless purchase.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I felt the same way as Ollie. And while my HDTV isn't a true "smart tv", my Bluray player has most of the features these devices offer. That said, I couldn't past up the $19 Firestick promotion for Amazon Prime members a few weeks back. It's due to ship out later this week.

S5 tap'n

OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Well we just got this TV and my Panasonic BD player on the main TV has several apps built in like Amazon, Netflix and Hulu. I'm thinking streaming from my phone or tablet would be cool but I can do that already. So what exactly is there, if anything that the chromecast can do that I can't do already. Haven't opened it yet so it would be an easy return. Anything specific to chromecast that makes it worth keeping?

Tap'd from my LG G3

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
It's got a ton of extra features, but most of them require additional "subscriptions" of course and since we already pay for Prime, Netflix & VuDu (which is a pay by movie type service, so no subscription required), we didn't want to fork out the extra money for additional subscriptions. We went with the Fire stick to get Prime movie/tv content we're already paying for. Here's a list of the most popular Chromecast apps. 32 of the Best Chromecast Apps
HBO Go & Google play movies/music would be the only two I'd be interested in at this point, but they have a great selection. (Which is what makes it so popular over the others)

S5 tap'n

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
My only complaint about apps built-in to smart tvs and bluray players is that they're often crappy versions that were on android a LONG time ago.

Netflix is a great example. It's incredibly clunky to search and find movies on many br players' netflix app if you compare that to using your phone/tablet.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I have a Smart TV Roku and a Chromecast as well. The Chromecast has the most Apps and can be rooted as well.
The STV has limited Apps and as @Jonny Kansas said, they are clunky. I don't care for the Roku and will most likely sell it.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
With the Xbox One, I don't even use either of the 2 logitech revue boxes I own. It's got great apps for Netflix, Amazon instant, etc, but I've been considering a chrome cast for the spare TV, especially since I just saw an article that they're offering $20 play store credit. Of course, I didn't make note of any of the details...

Sent from my Note 4

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
My BR is fairly new and the Netflix &VuDu apps are actually faster and easier to navigate than the same apps on my tablet or phone.

S5 tap'n

OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
With the Xbox One, I don't even use either of the 2 logitech revue boxes I own. It's got great apps for Netflix, Amazon instant, etc, but I've been considering a chrome cast for the spare TV, especially since I just saw an article that they're offering $20 play store credit. Of course, I didn't make note of any of the details...

Sent from my Note 4

That would be enticing in itself. But I got mine for $23.99. No current sales or I would buy another one for $25 just for that and return this one.

So I guess with the fact I can stream anything to the TV this thing is pretty much pointless.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Steve, i would try streaming from your Tab and phone to make sure you get a good connection. My G3 works fine but my Tab is constantly loading.
I use my Mac 99% of the time as it gets the fastest connection to my CC & TV