Google Chrome For Android Beta Available Now

Reaction score
its a tad quicker than stock...otherwise its very similar to stock IMO. I haven't left Mozilla yet on my laptop, so there's not a ton of incentive to have chrome on my phone

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

yeah I'm finding it to be the same speed. Spell correct works though, so I'll probably stick with it.

blacksoxing

Reaction score
switching tabs is hard, and many pages load as white....and it takes awhile for it to render

after a few outcries and updates it'll probably be a much usable beta. Betas are of course...not finals. So I'm not expecting greatness yet. I don't mind waiting. I'll just keep using stock for the meanwhile

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
chrome is such a memory hog, even when you close all tabs and exit the app it's still using over 50mb ram.

Reaction score
switching tabs is hard, and many pages load as white....and it takes awhile for it to render

after a few outcries and updates it'll probably be a much usable beta. Betas are of course...not finals. So I'm not expecting greatness yet. I don't mind waiting. I'll just keep using stock for the meanwhile

yeah i noticed this too. i love all the "wow! it's lightening fast!" posts about chrome beta. it's the same psycological affect where some people believe their car drives better after an oil change.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
it's not any faster then stock browser. i've timed a dozen web pages and they're both equal speed except chrome lacks desktop version, flash and whole lot of other features.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
chrome is such a memory hog, even when you close all tabs and exit the app it's still using over 50mb ram.
My Weather app is currently using 52. GoLauncher is using 60. 50 is not that much for an essential service, and I consider a browser to be an essential service.

I have a gig of RAM...there's plenty of room.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
but those apps that are being used. when you close all tabs and exit from chrome it still sits in memory, while stock browser gets unloaded.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
No, lots of apps stay memory resident like that. Android is designed to work that way. It frees up it's own memory when it needs it. Thats why recently used apps appear to load so fast. The weather app is not being used yet is still in RAM.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
android doesn't always manage it's memory efficiently hence the option to forceclose apps that are memory residents when they shouldn't be like chrome. i'd understand if you have pages open and hit home key to do other tasks, but if no pages are open and all tabs are close and app is closed it should not reside in memory. this is another + for default browser and another - for chrome.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
android doesn't always manage it's memory efficiently hence the option to forceclose apps that are memory residents when they shouldn't be like chrome.
This isnt 2010. Since GB that problem has pretty much vanished. I almost never had to force-close anything even on my Droid 1 after GB. Really, this "problem" has been resolved since Froyo. Thats why no one uses task killers anymore.

i'd understand if you have pages open and hit home key to do other tasks, but if no pages are open and all tabs are close and app is closed it should not reside in memory. this is another + for default browser and another - for chrome.
If you say so. I rarely have more than 20% of my RAM free, and my phone flies. I did benchmarks after I rooted and got rid of Sense and other memory-resident apps...the scrores are almost exactly the same.

Android does not work like your PC. Memory-resident apps do not impact performance in the way that you think they do.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'll agree to disagree, but in the end stock browser is still prevalent over chrome.