Google Calendar Question

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I have a question about the Google Calendar app that I am hoping to confirm. I downloaded the newest Google Calendar app yesterday to replace the stock calendar app on my Droid Maxx. As soon as I opened the Google Calendar app, I noticed that all of the Settings (Calendars to sync, Calendars to display, etc.) were already setup. Since I didn't want to use the stock Calendar app anymore, I opened it and unchecked all of the Calendars to sync and Calendars to display. As soon as I did that, the Google Calendar app was blank also. So I opened the Google Calendar app and re-selected my calendars to sync and display and it re-populated. That also re-populated the stock Calendar app. I didn't want two notifications per event, so I unchecked Notifications in the stock Calendar and am only receiving them for the Google calendar now. This morning I disabled the stock Calendar app and it has not had a negative effect on the Google Calendar app...yet. My question is: Does the Google Calendar act as a kind of "overlay" to the stock Calendar and they share the same Settings (except Notifications...that seems to be the only Setting that does not affect each other)? Is all of what I described normal when downloading the Google Calendar to replace the stock one? Thanks.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I ran into this myself when I got the Note 4 and they didn't have the "Agenda" widget anymore.

You're fine to disable the stock calendar, but they both use an app that you can find in your app manager called "Calendar Storage." Do NOT disable that one if you want the calendar to work. From what I can tell, they both read from there.

I disabled it when I disabled the stock calendar and lost everything, re-enabled it and everything came back.

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I ran into this myself when I got the Note 4 and they didn't have the "Agenda" widget anymore.

You're fine to disable the stock calendar, but they both use an app that you can find in your app manager called "Calendar Storage." Do NOT disable that one if you want the calendar to work. From what I can tell, they both read from there.

I disabled it when I disabled the stock calendar and lost everything, re-enabled it and everything came back.

Cool, thanks for the reply. I noticed the Calendar Storage app when I went to disable Calendar and was wondering if that was the app they both shared for the Settings menu. Makes more sense now.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Not a problem! It's not really a big deal if you disable it, but I figured I'd save you the trouble of finding out for yourself that it isn't a very good idea. ;)

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Not a problem! It's not really a big deal if you disable it, but I figured I'd save you the trouble of finding out for yourself that it isn't a very good idea. ;)

Very true...but...Calendar Storage will remain Enabled on my phone. One less headache I don't need this morning. :D Thanks again for the tips.